Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I used it off and on with Willie when he had pano as a pup. My Abby (not a basset) is currently on it long term for arthritis and pain. She has been tolerating it well. As with any medication, as long as they monitor it's use they should do fine. I'm pretty cautious with meds in general but really feel it's helped my crabby Abby's disposition and mobility.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Daisy was on Rimadyl for two years for her arthritis, and she did quite well on it. A few months ago the Rimadyl started to become less effective for her, so we switched to Deramaxx and she again is pain free. With the Rimadyl it was very important to make sure she got her pills at the same times every day to keep the blood levels of the drug even. The pills are liver flavored - Daisy took them like treats. Here's hoping Ruby will be feeling her old self soon.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sadie was on Rimadyl for a about 1 1/2 years, for severe spinal arthritis. She did well on it, but eventually showed high liver enzymes in a routine blood test. In the past year, it has been a roller coaster ride for us, trying to find a medicine that both eases her arthritis discomfort, but does not harm her liver. She was on Deramaxx, which also worked for the arthritis, but still harmed her liver. She was put on Denosyl, to help her liver, which worked - all liver enzymes were back to normal. Then the Deramaxx stopped working for her pain. She was then switched to Metacam, which was like a wonder drug for her - she had the liveliness of a much younger dog. However, her liver enzymes shot back up. She was switched to yet another arthritis med (can't remember the name) which did not ease her discomfort at all. So, back on Metacam & now we are tring some changes in diet. We go for the next blood test this Saturday. In my experience, which I hope is NOT the same for you, the meds only work for so long and eventually cause problems in the liver. I think the key is to be faithful with the blood tests to check the health of the liver. Good Luck! I hope your road to travel with this is easier than ours!

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Lady was on Rimadyl for several months and it was like a miracle drug. Then, she began having some problems. In particular, she had several vomiting episodes (very unusual for her) and very bad diarrhea. In addition, she had some discoordination, for lack of a better term --- nothing terribly bad, fairly slight, but enough that I noticed.

Her liver enzymes were fine, but I took her off the Rimadyl for now. And because I'm uncertain of her health history (a former neighbor literally gave her to me --- it was me or the pound), I am giving her a break from the prescription remedies.

I've been giving her buffered aspirin (much to my vet's distress) once a day for about a month, and it's working so far with no ill effects. Lady is up and running around --- still a bit cranky boned, but she has dysplasia so that's kind of to be expected.

If I knew what her health history was, I really wouldn't hesitate tyo put her on another prescription med. But the discoordination was really disturbing for me. It hasn't happened since I pulled her off Rimadyl and the vet couldn't find any physical explanation for it.

That said, if her dysplasia takes a turn for the worse, I WILL put her back on a stronger med. She has made it quite clear to me her quality of life is important to her --- she loves running and playing, and gets very upset when she can't. So quality of life will prevail if/when her dysplasia progresses, and I will put her on the prescription meds.

B

·
0 Posts
Rimidyl

They put Tummy Boy on it several months ago when he ran into the wall. I gave him mabe 1 1/2 pills. Stopped them It's good for pain but; vet said only give it to him when he needs it. She said this med. can harm liver and kidneys. Maybe ask vet for something else. Happy to be a slave for Tummy Boy. :D

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Re: Rimidyl

Originally posted by Bassets 4 me
It's good for pain but; vet said only give it to him when he needs it. She said this med. can harm liver and kidneys. Maybe ask vet for something else.
Rimadyl is an Nsaid like deramaxx and asprin. All Nsaid can effect the liver with prolonged use. However the biggest problem with nsaids in dogs is gastric erosion. Rimadyl and deramaxx are much safer in this regard than the human nsaids.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts