Good to hear Ruby Dew is doing okay! :D

I had Connie on Rimadyl for a long periode,
and she did fine - it really helped her a lot
for a while.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Rimadyl, the magic pills!

Snoopy took it a lot as a pup when he had growing pains with all four paws. Rusty the Springer Spaniel also takes it daily now as he's highly arthritic and has lost his spring. Rimadyl makes him as perky as a pup. Sadly, if Snoopy sees us give Rusty the pills, he get upset as he wants them too.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Rimadyl is a non steroidal anti inflammitory medication that can be very helpful for arthritis and other aches and pains. It comes in liver flavored treat tablets. Daisy used it for a long time for her arthritis and it was great - it slowly lost efficacy over time, and now she takes Deramaxx. Both are prescription meds.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Now, I have a question and it's something I've always wondered in regard to giving pets medication. If they can make Rimadyl in treat-flavored doses, and heartworm medicine in treat-flavored doses, WHY can't they give us antiobiotics and such in the same form? I readily admit I know nothing about medicine except what I learn on shows like "Grey's Anatomy" which is a highly suspicious source, I realize, so I suppose there's a good reason for it. But still, I'm 44 and even when I was little they had kid-friendly aspirin and liquid antibiotics and I know there are even more things available now for human children, so you'd think they could make stuff for our furbabies that would be easier to get the furbabies to take. Having just been through a spell of antibiotics (and battles!) with His Lordship, it's been on my mind and I was reminded by this thread.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You're so right about the dog medication. We just finished a course of Clavamox here and I was cooking mini-meatballs at midnight one night trying to entice Franny to chew fast before he realized the medication was hidden in them. The trick was to feed him one without Clavamox, then sneak one by him in another meatball, then give him a third meatball so he wouldn't associate the meatballs with the medication. That got us through about 4 doses before he stopped wolfing the meatballs down. You could practically hear him "PTOOEY"ing the pills from the other side of the house! I then used hot dogs and when the jig was up on them we finished off with cheese squares. The infection went away but now I'm left with a total pudge-puppy! He gained a ton because he had an ear infection???
I'm glad Ruby's up and running again.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ruby takes pills very, very well.

She had one infection after another when she was a puppy so it's old hat to give her meds. I just tell her that I have her pill and she comes running! I throw it down her throat and tickle her neck and she swallows. She always gets a biscuit afterwards.

·
Registered
196 Posts
They can make anti-biotics in treat flavours also - Rusty has some a few weeks ago. (I know it sounds like my dog is always sick....)

My boys take tablets really well. It's the cats I have issues with. I have a very feisty pedigree Manx cat (Snoopy's nest friend), who took chunks out of a nurse when she tried to give him meds. I forgot to tell her that if you scratch between his ears, his mouth pops open and you canget the tablets in easily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts