Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruby's daddy has always given her a bath in the bathtub but she's had her last one done by him last weekend.

She's been limping a bit since we lived in the apartment for 6 months and we were given a second floor place rather than the first floor one we were promised.

But she was limping just a little bit before this when we lived in FL even tho that house had no stairs. No xrays were taken but Ruby's vet said that she had the startings of disk problems in her lower back. Since living in the apartment, she was able to stretch out like a cat and was fine after that.

Well, back to the bathing experience. When Ruby's daddy took her out of the tub, he slipped on the wet floor and pulled a muscle in HIS back. He was placing her on the floor at the time and her back left leg also slipped and she was standing there screaming in pain with that leg up in the air.

I came running and I was able to get on the floor with her and massage the ankle and leg area. My guess is that she twisted it but it's just a guess.

Since then when she gets up from sleeping, she's limping until it stretches out. She had a vet appt already scheduled for last week (B4 this happened) but I had cancelled it because I wasn't well and wouldn't have been able to get her in and out of the car by myself.

So she's seeing the vet Monday at 6 p.m. I'll let you know how it all goes. :(

·
Registered
335 Posts
Poor Ruby and Daddy! I hope everyone is better soon! Healing Drool from Daisy Jayne! And good wishes from me! :D

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
That's awful! I hope Ruby and your husband recover quickly. We stopped giving tub baths because something similar happened years ago- my husband slipped taking a 70 pound dog out of the tub, the dog panicked and twisted away from him, and he was pushed back hard into a ceramic towel rack next to the tub- when I arrived on the scene the dog had escaped the bathroom and was running wet through the house, and Paul was on the floor with a cracked rib. We're getting too old to risk it anymore- it's worth $17 at the dog groomers if Murray needs a bath, which is only once or twice a year. Good luck at the vets Monday! I hope it's something minor-

·
Registered
110 Posts
Poor Ruby & poor Ruby's dad! Hope everyone feels better soon. Do dogs like heating pads the way cats do? Offer Ruby a heating pad on the side that is giving her problems - it could help.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hope everyone is feeling better! I sympathise with your husband's back pains (Although I did mine golfing...)

Luckily in Japan they have shower rooms, so the whole room is like a shower. That makes it a lot easier to shower a dog down and no need to lift in and out.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
One or two baths per YEAR? Ruby gets them once a month otherwise she's too stinky. :?
quote]

Murray only gets a bath if he needs it- I've always believed that in many cases frequent baths over-stimulate their oil glands and create a vicious cycle of 'stinky dog/bath/stinkydog/bath...' So Murray has only had a few baths in his entire life. I groom him every day though- he gets brushed, any yeast flair-ups get treated with Malaseb or Gold Bond medicated powder, etc.- I know all dogs are different, but this routine has worked for us- he has a beautiful, thick, velvety coat and doesn't have an odor.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Franny and I send our wishes for your two beloveds to feel better. Let us know what the vet says on Monday...there are a bunch of new anti-inflammatories that have done wonders for Fran, maybe they'll help little Ruby, too :cry:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Healing drool for your hubby and Rubydoo. Sure hope everyone is on the mend and feeling better soon.

Aroooos from Bogie!!
You don't own a Basset, a Basset owns you!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts