Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel so bad because Ruby has a bad infection and I didn't know it and we're usually so in tune with her. :cry:

We were at the vet for just under 3 hours and it was a madhouse (it's an animal hospital and VERY popular).

Anyway we lucked out and saw the owner vet who is only there once a week (hence it being so busy I think).

Ruby has a massive ear infection and she's to have Otomax twice a day for 7 days and then once a week. We've been doing it once a week for a very long time but it seems as tho I didn't have the tip of the bottle in her ear deep enough enough (per the vet). I'm also to take a tissue and wrap it around my pinky finger and get in there to clean out her ears and do this daily. In addition to all of the meds and stuff.

She also has rx eye drops twice a day until her allergy eyes clear up and she's on twice a day of antibiotics. Her arm pit area which had dried blood on it is sort of an eczema type yeasty. Use the malasab pledgetes there as well as under her jowls and to also wipe her jowls down with plain water daily. And she got her ears flushed out and a steroid shot and her nails cut. $216 later....but at least she's on the mend.

When I asked about Goldbond powder he said to wait. It's only for pits that are healthy and not full of gooey stuff. But he said that a lot of dogs don't do well with the powder either. (just telling you what he said).

Patti, I asked about listerine as a rinse for healthy ears and he said absolutely not because it's too strong and would kill off the good bacteria too.

She's so stressed and worn out from all of those dogs (there were something like 25 dogs in the waiting room; it's a big place), that she's curled up at my feet right now but I had to call her over because she was acting mad at me. But two biscuits helped.

:(

B

·
0 Posts
So sorry . poor baby. I have paid $700.00 this past month for yeast infection on neck. ear infection-(all the time since I got him) because of that. I clean his ears twice a wk. (He still gets ear infections) Oh and an tell her Tummy is sending drool and hugs. if he ate something xraywrong. (maybe they are RELATIVES) Geezzze what's with my typing ?Give her a hug from Tummy.. Maybe because of crazy weather this yr,? Tummy Boy's Mom...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Poor Ruby!!!! :cry: :cry:

I'm sending lots of love her way and I hope she is back to her normal cutie self in a few days... :D If Jackie where here, she would send lots of drool too!!!

With all the expensive vet bills, I'm glad that I am getting VPI pet insurance before I get Jackie, it sounds like it will pay for itself.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, if I knew then what I knew now I'd get vet insurance B4 we got her. We have spent an absolute FORTUNE on Ruby as she's been one sick little girl ever since we got her (in 1998). Everything would be pre-existing now-a-days.

Ruby says, "it's only money???$$$"

Arroooo-MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Lots of drool for Ruby. Poor baby. We hope the nasty infection goes away fast!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
When Winston or Henrietta got mad at me from vets' visit, I usually bribe them with a half of cheese burger. :lol: It works everytime. I'm not surprise. :roll:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am sorry to hear about Ruby I hope see gets better soon, Hopefully you aren't up all night with her, but that is what good parents do . Get Well Soon Ruby :D

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Healing drool from South Dakota. We are heading out for vacation, family reunion, etc. to Arkansas so I won't be around for awhile. Sure hope she feels better soon.

Aroooos form Bogie!!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Oh my! That stinks for poor little Ruby. I hope she feels better very, very soon. Francis and I send all our best wishes!!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts