Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She has big red sores in between two of her toes which she keeps licking to no end. She's gotten to the point where she tried to hide from me to keep me from seeing her lick as I tell her NO!

Because she had a cortisone shot a month ago for a real bad ear infection, he won't give her another one now. She is on strong antibiotics and we're supposed to dunk her foot in a bath of baking soda and water. And we've upped the benedryl but she's still chewing like mad.

We got a dog booty for her foot and it's cute but she's trying to lick her foot thru it.

I'm at my wits end as to what to do about this? She's not feeling well and isn't her normal self at all even with all of the meds and stuff she's taking.

Going to the vet again might be an option but what is he going to do if there's no cortisone shot to give her? Pay big $$$bucks and wait for 3 hours to be seen for nothing? We need something that works at this point.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Poor Ruby!! My elderly Brittany has this problem- Our vet uses a spray- Gentocin that seems to help a lot- You might ask your vet about that- it's possible since she has already been seen and diagnosed they might just give you a prescription. Another thing I have recently heard on the allergies is that some vets are using claritin or allegra in treating the dog allergies. I plan to ask our vet as our Jake has a lot of allergies and I hate giving him a daily prednisone. It can't hurt to ask... we see our vet so often they will sometimes just refill or try something new without me having to go in all the time. Good luck- Wendy

Oh- on the soaks...liver treats kept Samantha in the tub long enough for the baths to help... I broke them into bits to save on calories :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
She could a lso have developed a habit of chewing on her foot. Maybe somethig to relax her temporarily until the habit is broken?

M

·
0 Posts
Poor Little Ruby! Maggie had trouble under her neck and armpits. The Vet gave us Chlorhexidine 4% shampoo. We had to bath those problems areas with this shampoo every other day for 2 weeks. After applying it had to remain on the skin for 15 minutes before rinsing. She also prescribed Gentamycin Topical Spray to be used 2 to 3 times daily for inflammation. They both worked well.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
If she were my dog, I'd put a collar on her to physically prevent her from chewing. It's important to break the itch-scratch(chew) cycle, to give the lesions a chance to begin healing.

B

·
0 Posts
Poor Ruby. I have been dealing with this 4 a long time. She(VET) gives him antibiotics. She also gave Me an anti/yeast Presc. shampootoo. 1st 4 wks- 3xwkly give him a bath with it. (leave on for 15 min. then 1xper wk for 3 wks. It did help but as soon as Tummy finishes antibiotic- He starts over.Seems like I am working off and on all day. Hope Ruby does better. :D . Grrrrrrrrr. Bought t-shirts kids size that (u suggested??).think Betsy's idea is good. Going to try it. Tummy Boy's Mom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts