Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here use GasX routinely with meals as a prevenative measure against bloat? I was just curious because that is what the breeder I am buying my dogs does.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We just use a good dog food (Burgess Super Dog here in the UK) plenty of exercise, but wait till at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours before we exercise after meals

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...these guys are being fed Iams Lamb and Rice, so I will start them off with that. Unless the vet tells me I need to I may lay off the gas x.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Nope, but I do keep some on hand in case it's needed. Very rarely use it, though, in fact I should get a new package because the stuff I have on hand is probably too old to be any good.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
but wait till at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours before we exercise after meals
This advice is much inline with not swimming after eating. Common knowledged that is not born out scientifically. incidents of bloat are not related to excersize duration, timing, or length. in studies that looked at satistical relationship to boat an a number of environmental factors factors that were linked as being significant are

Size of meal, but not number of meals the smaller the meal less likely boat.

raised food bowl in large breeds

Speed of eating. the faster eater more likely to bloat.

Genetics and age however seem to be more significant factors. The older the dog the more likely to bloat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gas X

I have never needed to use Gas X with my Basset, however I did use it with my Bernese Mountain dog. I only used it when I saw the beginning signs of bloat, and it would happen fast so when I saw that tummy inflating I would let her chew a pill and it did work if I caught it in time. If for some reason she bloated so quickly that I didn't notice, it was always a visit to the vet to be tubed. Don't know whether it's necessary after every meal. What food are you using. Taste of the Wild is what I get, all natural, no corn etc. We've had excellent luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts