Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Those are cute pups! While not pure basset and probably the product of an oops... mutts need homes too...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Research both breeds ,you are getting a herding breed mixed with a hound. They are cute but also know this, bassetx can and will take anything you leave on the counters. Bassets do it anyway now the legs will be longer,more reach. I think, in a way, I'd rather see you get one of these but I'm not sure you are ready for a basset hound.These dogs are great fun but they come with their quirks too and some folks do not handle the quirks well. If a child has a cookie ,2 seconds gone! Leave some food item on the table turn your back ,gone! Let him out to pee (fenced yard is best) he gets the scent of some animal and is gone! You can't cut off the part that causes the trouble,the nose. Be very ,very sure you know what you are getting into. And as you suspect Kansas is not good, one of the puppymill states of the midwest.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I wanted to say that most reputable breeders do not advertise on the internet, simply, because they don't have to, most of the time their puppies are purchased by word of mouth or other owners or they have a waiting list to supply. I had a couple wait through a false pregnancy for me to breed again . They had much more patience than even I probably would have had waiting for a puppy. They liked my dogs and I like to think, maybe, me, so they were happy to wait. Some may require a deposit but most good breeders say wait till the litter is on the ground then I will except deposits. Good breeders just do things better.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Wow...how adorable! I'm sure you know about Basset breeds, Blue Heelers are completely different. If you think that type of dog is for you, go for it!!! I almost adopted a Blue Heeler mix but the description of the breed didn't seem like the right dog for a family. Maybe you can visit a Blue Heeler forum to read others experiences with them. That pup is a cutie!!!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
FWIW mixes are a bit of a crap shoot on what you end up with personality wise and health. General you can expect somewhere between both breeds but it can be anywhere on the continium. So a basset-beagle mix will general be closer to a pure bred basset because the purpose, personality and temperment etc are closer.
There presonalities/temperments of ACD and bassets are not similar. So if you are looking for a basset type temperment you might end up with something not even close to it.

The Mixed Breed Dog
Another disadvantage of mixed breed dogs is the inability to predict the size, coat-type, or temperament of the adult dog from seeing a litter of puppies from an unknown sire or worse, from an unknown dam and sire. Animal shelter personnel can guess at the breed of an abandoned litter of pups, but they cannot really tell much by looking at a roly poly bundle of fur with the little round face and short legs. And even if the litter parents are known, if they are two widely divergent breeds or mixes in size, coat, or temperament, it will be difficult to determine which pups will take after Mom, which ones will resemble Dad, which ones will look and act like a little bit of both, and which ones will look and act like neither parent.

... The body size and
temperament of crossbred dogs with parents of different size and temperament are anybody’s guess. ...Temperament is a paramount consideration in a family dog. It doesn’t matter whether Fluffy is big, small, or black or whether King has a pointed head and upright ears or a round head and floppy ears, but it does matter if either dog is domineering to the children or difficult for Mom to handle.

...Crossbreeds or mixes with retriever, pointer, setter, or spaniel (except Cocker Spaniel), Beagle, Basset, Foxhound, Coonhound, Bloodhound, Pug, Bulldog, Corgi, Collie, Newfoundland, St. Bernard, Mastiff, Bullmastiff, Great Dane, Great Pyrenees, or Samoyed tend to be congenial family pets although several have high energy levels and some are difficult to train

...Crossbreeds or mixes of the working and some herding breeds are often tough and independent. Akita, Rottweiler, Alaskan Malamute, Siberian Husky, Doberman, Briard, Bouvier des Flandres, Australian Cattle Dog, the Belgian breeds, Boxer, Chinese Shar Pei, and Chow Chow belong in this group.

What do you know of the personality of Heeler/ACD?

see New Hope Cattle Dogs

Australian Cattle Dog Temperament
What's Good About 'Em, What's Bad About 'Em

Australian Cattle Dog Information

Knowing quite a few ACD through dog agility I find the above links fairly accurate on the breeds temperament.

It appears the puppy on the right might be a merle which does not occur in Cattle dogs, Given the resolution of the photo it is also possible not merle at all and just a result of ticking but worth investigating. i.e. are the actual hairs either black or white or are there some various shades of grey. The reason for mentioning this is if the puppy on right is a merle then the discription of the mix is wrong.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
The really big problem is this does not appear to be an accidental breeding It appears that the breeder likes selling healer mixes

July 16,2009
Colorado Front ragnge ads
Golden retriever/heeler mix breed pups 8 weeks 1st shots $125.00

Rat Terrier puppies $ 75.00
Aug 19, 2010 ... 1 male 1 female puppy 10 weeks old, 2 puppy shots, and ready for their new home Rehoming fee 75.00 720-273-8041 ...
denver.craigslist.org/pet/1908072841.html

Re : Dachshund 3 MonthsJun 15, 2010 ... She has the same phone # listed on many animals....720- 273-8041 ... Rehoming fee 100.00 720 273 8041. Location: I70 & Tower Rd; ...
denver.craigslist.org/pet/1792784775.html

29 Gallon Aquarium with PIRANAH

border collie/blue heeler pups
2 male 1 female 9 weeks old female looks more blue heeler one male
looks border one looks blue heeler first shots and wormed rehoming fee
100. 720 273 8041
Does not appear to be a ligitimate rescue organization encouraging them to continue by paying a "rehoming" fee does not seem to be in the best interest of the dogs.

·
Registered
878 Posts
They are real cute.

You know how markings on a Basset change from when they are 8 weeks to 8 months, maybe the Basset from Summit's link above with the 'ticking' may finish looking like the Best of Breed at Crufts 2009 (below) as it was a very unusual marked hound.... click to enlarge the pic to see the pattern!

Looking at the lower pictures, the Basset looks like it's crossed with a 'speckled' dog!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
As Mikey pointed out, this appears to be a BYB posing as a rescue by calling their sale price a "rehoming fee". There are also people who make a nice profit by taking in puppies and sometimes adults if they are small, cute and can be quickly turned over for a profit, and calling what they do "rescue" so that people are more likely to buy. Then you end up with all the disadvantages of dealing with a crappy breeder, combined with the disadvantages of getting a mutt. Plus you would be supporting some pretty shady practices.
This MAY be a legit rescue group-check them out very carefully. A legit group will be a registered charity-ask to see the papers (301c I think).
Rescue is the "big thing" right now and a lot of unscrupulous people take advantage of that.
As you can see, the internet is a dangerous place for the unwary puppy buyer.

Regarding other comments:
The blue puppy IS a merle, not ticked, and that color will stay the same as the pup matures.

Re advertising on the internet- there are many of us who believe that good breeders can and should do so simply because otherwise all the average puppy seeker finds is crappy breeders and sham rescues. They have no idea that different kinds of breeders even exist.
The scandal of marketing purebred dogs (II) | Ruffly Speaking

·
Registered
878 Posts
I posted this on your "round two" topic so have moved it here since you're now on 'round three'.... but how about adopting an 'unwanted' two-year old Basset??

Originally Posted by summit
Thanks all. I live in Breckenridge Colorado. Any help is much appreciated.
Summit, I googled 'Breckenridge Colorado Basset Hound rescue' and amongst the much older Bassets, they appear to have a 2-year old neutered tri-colour male who looks as though he arrived less than a week ago, but there's no picture of him but perhaps a quick email (if you're interested) will probably get you a picture of him!

I'm sure if he is still available, he would make an adorable pet for you. We have rehomed far more older Bassets than we have bought young puppies and all have been lovely hounds.

http://www.coloradobassetrescue.com/

Louie - 2620:
"Hi my name is Louie. I am a 2 year old tri colored, neutered male Basset Hound. I love to be around people and love to be petted. I am very energetic and playful and have a lot of love to give. I love to run around outside and play and get treats! I have a lot of love to give to my forever home and would love the opportunity to do so! I am potty trained and up to date on my shots. My foster Mom compares me to the energizer Bunny, I guess that's because I am full of energy and love to go for walks. Oh by the way, my foster parents say that I am fine around children. So what are you waiting for, give the nice folks of rescue a call and set up a date to meet me, you won't regret it."

Rescue Entry Date - Aug-19-2010

2010 High Country Basset Hound Rescue & Adoption Service, Inc

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is so sad that people try to trick people that way. It is so sickening. If someone didn't do the research that Mikey had done, they would have thought they were getting a puppy from an accidental pregnancy. I can't believe that people go out of their way to sell dogs like that, torturing poor dogs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wish I would've have seen this before posting my puppy up as this is where I got her and I didn't do my research on her. I feel bad and wish I would've known she was from a byb and no an accidental like I thought. Atleast she has a wonderful home now. We love her to death and she's very unique.

P.s. her birthday is the exact same as my sons.. 6-25-10 which I didn't know until I got her shot records.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Jade that is so nice a coincidence about the birthdays! :) Maybe it's a good job you got your new dog before reading this forum or you may not have got her and she wouldn't have been so happy! Let's hope she stays nice and fit and healthy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks SophieB. She did have kennel cough. We are treating it though. I talked to the lady about it, she said "sorry didn't notice, she's been outside with her mother". Something like her being a breeder of many dogs woulve never crossed my mind.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Something like her being a breeder of many dogs woulve never crossed my mind
She is unlikely a large scale breeder however the number of different heeler crosses over the year suggest either she is deliberate crossing or does not give a rats a$$ what mates with her female and takes no precautions when she is heat. Niether are strong indications of a breeder that does what she should it insure the health and well being of the pups.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad I didn't jump into that.

I got an email from someone who purchased a puppy and after taking it to the vet found out it had pneumonia.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Re advertising on the internet- there are many of us who believe that good breeders can and should do so simply because otherwise all the average puppy seeker finds is crappy breeders and sham rescues. They have no idea that different kinds of breeders even exist.
The scandal of marketing purebred dogs (II) | Ruffly Speaking
AMEN to that statement. Read the article, bravo for the reputable breeder/author who realizes there needs to be a way to get their information out there!

Been looking on-line for state of PA reputable breeders..............where are they? Only the same two continue to appear, Taits and Lion's Den, are they reputable?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts