Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mattie has had such a rough week this week.. Sunday she was having problems walking, which that is better now. And now she woke me up this morning at 6a.m. crying and walking around after watching her for a few minutes I notice she was stratching her ears, rubbing them on stuff and also she was shaking her head, so I checked her ears thinking they might need cleaned.. well both sides are bright red. So I called the vet first thing this morning and made her appointment since I am pretty sure she has a ear infection. But are normal vet is out of vaction so Mattie is going to see a different vet this should be a intersting trip this afternoon. Lucky my husband is coming home to help take Mattie to vet, cause Mattie hates going to the vet!!

Hopefully she starts feeling better so she can have a better week next week!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Poor Mattie. I've been incredibly lucky with my dogs and have never had an ear infection (knocking on wood). Here's hoping she feels better soon!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matie says THANK YOU for her get well wish!!

She went to vet got a shot and some ear drops and hopefully she starts feeling better soon!!

This is Mattie's first ear infection so she has been lucky up to this point. Her ears wasn't infected yet but they were really inflammed and was very very close to being infected. So I noticed it just in time.. thankfully!

Nothing is harder then having a sick hound, my heart hurts when she hurts!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far so good this week.. Mattie is feeling better from her ear infection now since her med's have kicked in.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hope Mattie is much better now as earache must be miserable.

Get some Thornit powder for Mattie's ears, much better that too much stuff from the vets!!! You can read reviews here...

Just copied this from a couple of topics on here!!!!

Some dog owners say they use a pinch of Thornit in each ear every week keeps mites at bay and smells clean too and much better than wetting ears with that liquid cleaner as it's not easy to keep their ears dry after using it, whereas Thornit is dry powder.

What a pity you had such an expensive trip to your vet... we all suffer from vets' extortionate fees but I'm sure it will be worth it for the many years of pleasure your hounds will bring you! Can you get 'Thornits' powder where you live as it's excellent for keeping Bassets' ears healthy. If you Google it you'll see much to support its use!

This is from the Champ Dogs website........
"Get a teaspoon and poke the narrow end into the Thornit powder so you have a little "mountain" of it, that is no more than a good "pinch" and tip directly into the ear canal. If the entrance to the canal is very hairy then rub a little Thornit into the hair first , leave a few minutes and it plucks out painlessly ( or snip short with scissors) so you can clear the canal and the powder will actually go down it.

Once you put the powder in, massage gently for a minute or two. If my dogs have waxy ears or think they may have mites I do them twice a day for a week and then wait for a few days to see if it has worked. Its not often I have to do it for longer. I always do both ears even if it appears there is a problem in only one.

I dont use any liquid/drops in the ear during the time I am dosing with the Thornit. The Thornit will send any "gunge" up to the surface and I lift it off very gently with a damp cotton bud, but I dont go inside the canal, just around it and the "creases". If I was using Thornit daily for 10 days or so with no improvement or the ear was red and swollen a trip to the vet would be wise I think - though Thornit has always cleared up any ear probs my dogs have had. Its brill!"

Info here: http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&q=Thornit+Powder+for+dogs+ears&aq=f&aqi=&aq l=&oq=Thornit+Powder+for+dogs+ears&gs_rfai=&fp=fdf a1fab6e124257

After I first heard about this old gamekeeper's remedy a few years ago, I have used it and none of my Bassets have had to go to the vet for their costly antibiotic stuff like it my pre-Thornit days! I bet if it didn't lose them a lot of money vets would also be dishing it out!!!! ;)
Thornit Ear Powder - CATS_Eye and Ear pet healthcare

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks SophieB for the tip, now since Mattie is starting to have issues with the ears I am going to check in to that... Thankfully Mat's trip to the vet was not to bad.. It was under $60. This was the first time that I have had issues with Mattie's ears. I normally don't even have to clean them. I check them to see if they need cleaning but normally they are not bad enough to be cleaned. I am very lucky!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts