Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because Molly drools so much, and the fact that she is big-time overshot, the saliva has rotted her lower lips and they are all red and itchy. Her scratching has also caused a fairly large spot on her neck to be red and hairless which is now also itchy. How many times to I have to go the vet before they'll give me the correct meds?! Last time (2 weeks ago)it was a week of Clavimox and washing affected areas after she's eaten with Nolvascan scrub. This hasn't done anything to stop the scratching. I've tryed Desetin, Gold Bond, other baby diaper rash powders, etc. Her skin is tons better after the allergy (dust mites, mold and a couple of grasses that grow near the beach) shots she's been getting since this spring, but this is a different problem. What about some kind of hydrocortisone used externally? Is there a powder with hydrocortisone? I have a Hydrocortisone leave-on lotion that I used on a foster called Resicort (the lotion, not the foster!). It worked for her (along with shampoo therapy), but the leftover in the bottle is 3 years old. A negative left over from the skin allergies is that even though her skin is better, she still licks in-between the pads of her right front foot making it all red and swollen. As long as I keep a bootie on it at night and when I'm not around it's ok. The best medicine I've found for that is a hunter's product called Tuf-foot. It dyes her foot blue (Gentian Violet is one ingredient) but who cares. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I knew I should've been a vet, I would have saved my self a fortune! Also, my 1 1/2 yr. old Lab already has those callouses on his elbows that big dogs get from laying on hard floors. Any product I could put on them to soften them and/or diminish them? Thanks guys! Belinda.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The best thing I ever found for hot spots was this stuff called Sulfodene that I got in the dog section at the grocery store but I have seen it at pet stores also. It is a yellow liquid and smells BAD but it cleared up Shlya within a few days whereas the stuff the vet gave me that was half hydrocortisone and half something else, did not do a darn thing. The Sulfodene is also used for cuts and scratches. Shyla hated it as I am sure it burned but boy did it work!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Belinda,

I use a powder once in a while called Neo-Predef for hot spots and small itching areas. It contains an antibiotic neomycin and prednisone and there's also the same thing with a topical anesthetic in it. It has to be used sparingly and only on small areas as I have seen Roady pee and drink too much while on it once.

Also for the lips I sometimes use Pyoben creme which has benxoyl peroxide in it. Both are Rx items I get from the vet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts