Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call Monday from the head of our local pet therapy organization. We had a request from a mother of 3 autistic boys, ages 6, 8, and 12, to do some home visits. Their home is pretty chaotic and she is realistic in not bringing a pet into the mix, but she would like her boys to learn about animals and how to interact appropriately with them.

We normally visit facilities, so this was an unusual request.And right now I'm doing more nursing home visits than usual because one of the patients I've been visiting for 2 years is very ill. But they live fairly close, so I thought I'd give it a try.

What a great visit! The mom had prepped the kids beforehand, Murray wagged his tail the whole time, and I left all three a "Color Me Murray" basset handout with a photo of Murray attached which the kids loved. Murray had a great time!

I will be taking all the basset holiday cards over for the kids to see at the end of December- I can't wait to tell them about all the different hounds and where they live!

Anyway- Murray has 3 more to visit now!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
How awesome!!! I'm sure the boys loved Murray and what a great thing for you to do with Murray. I'm sure those little guys will be looking forward to your next visit. I've worked with autistic kids in schools and can't imagine having three autistic boys in one household.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
What a good boy, Murray! How sweet. I can't imagine having three BOYS in one house, let alone autistic ones! I'm so glad it all worked out. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I just wanted to say I think it is great what you are doing with Murray. Sounds like everyone had a good time and I am sure those boys are looking forward to seeing both of you again. That was really thoughtful of you to make up those little color me Murray pictures.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It is so great to hear what Murray is doing for those kids. My son is 6yrs old and Autistic and I can tell you that Fred has been a blessing for him. Fred has never been formally trained to be a working dog, but he helps me with my son tremendously. Sometimes Joshua has a habit of getting up early (3 and 4am - a sleepwalker) and Fred will let me know that he is up and he will NOT stop barking until he hear me say, "hold ya head, Fred".

When something is wrong with my son or if my son needs help, Fred will instantly bark or give me a whiney voice that I can hear in my bedroom, to let me know that Josh needs me. Also, he helps Josh by being a playmate and companion. Josh also takes care of Fred by helping me clean up his crate and taking up his bowls. (this helps with this gross motor skills) Josh sneaks Fred some of his food sometimes (I have to tell him not to do that). One day, Josh fed Fred some of his sausage pizza. :lol: Another time, he gave Fred his Chinese rice. When it is time to take Fred out and I'm distracted (looking at TV or something) Josh will bring Fred's leash to me. They are just close buddies.

I cannot imagine my home without Fred. He is a part of my family and a member of the pack. :lol:

I have to say from my own experience that Bassets are WONDERFUL with Autistic kids and it warms my heart to hear that Murray is a caregiver to them.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My son is 6yrs old and Autistic and I can tell you that Fred has been a blessing for him. Fred has never been formally trained to be a working dog, but he helps me with my son tremendously. Sometimes Joshua has a habit of getting up early (3 and 4am - a sleepwalker) and Fred will let me know that he is up and he will NOT stop barking until he hear me say, "hold ya head, Fred".

When something is wrong with my son or if my son needs help, Fred will instantly bark or give me a whiney voice that I can hear in my bedroom, to let me know that Josh needs me. Also, he helps Josh by being a playmate and companion. Josh also takes care of Fred by helping me clean up his crate and taking up his bowls. (this helps with this gross motor skills) Josh sneaks Fred some of his food sometimes (I have to tell him not to do that). One day, Josh fed Fred some of his sausage pizza. :lol: Another time, he gave Fred his Chinese rice. When it is time to take Fred out and I'm distracted (looking at TV or something) Josh will bring Fred's leash to me. They are just close buddies.[/b]
You're a Good Boy Fred!!! :lol: !!!! Way to go!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts