Basset Hounds Forum banner

Roo needs to be on a diet

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Lightning&Stomps 
#1 ·
Roo is seven years old a little bit lazy and maybe a little over weight, will someone with experience in putting a basset on a diet give me some advice. if it hadn t been for Roo coming into my life when she did I dont think if I cojuld have made it through eight years of physical rehabilitation, after a serious on the job injury, so its hard for me to hold out on her when she begs she is good at it, thanks for any help on what to feed her and how much and how often.

#2 ·
I tried various diet foods for Lightning over the last few years, but he always wolfed his food down at an alarmingly fast rate and then later ate his poo. So now I give him a regular dog food, but a smaller amount than he would normally get, and I add a liberal amount of water. He seems fine with this arrangement, I don't think he eats as much poo as he used to, and his weight stays good. (I have apple trees, so every night he goes and gets himself two or three big apples and eats those, so he's a bit heftier than usual. But he'll lose a little weight when apple season is over.)

#3 ·
Roo is seven years old a little bit lazy and maybe a little over weight, will someone with experience in putting a basset on a diet give me some advice.

What worked for us was the 'green bean' diet. I cut Pearl's food by about a quarter, I think, and made up the different in canned green beans. Over the course of a year or so, she lost 10 pounds, and has kept it off. Look for the low sodium green beans, because the regular ones have lots of salt.

#5 ·
My Emma is overweight. We did the green bean thing for a long time...until suddenly she decided to pick all the green beans out. Now I give her dog food mixed with pumpkin and water (pumkin is filler, low calorie, and good fiber) for dinner. Then about 2 hours later, I give her a big bowl of cut up lettuce mixed with pumkin. I just say "Are you ready for your salad?" and she absolutely loves it. She's lost 8 pounds ;)

#6 ·
Keep in mind dogs have a relatively short digestive tract. any vegitable matter that is not cooked or pre-digested is likely ad any nutritional value. They are fillers in the true meaning of the word. Use to create a "full feeling " in the dog. If you are dillgient about not leaving acess to uman food to steal or beg then just feed less is a viable as well. Basical that is how a the fibre increased diets work. Reduce the high calorie kibbile replace with low/no calorie filler and the dog looses weight. The fillers only purpose to to create a filling of fullness in the dog. Personally I question that it really works. Who that has ever been on a diet can honestly say that a pound of salad was as sating as the much smaller portion/volume wise 1 lb steak. Especial 1 or 2 hours later.

#7 ·
Keep in mind dogs have a relatively short digestive tract. any vegitable matter that is not cooked or pre-digested is likely ad any nutritional value. They are fillers in the true meaning of the word. Use to create a "full feeling " in the dog. If you are dillgient about not leaving acess to uman food to steal or beg then just feed less is a viable as well. Basical that is how a the fibre increased diets work. Reduce the high calorie kibbile replace with low/no calorie filler and the dog looses weight. The fillers only purpose to to create a filling of fullness in the dog. Personally I question that it really works. Who that has ever been on a diet can honestly say that a pound of salad was as sating as the much smaller portion/volume wise 1 lb steak. Especial 1 or 2 hours later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.