Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tell me...how many times have you tried to have "private time" with your significant other...only to have a basset jump right in the middle of what you're trying to do??? Not only is it incredibly disgusting, but it's down right hilarious : )

My husband worked late today, so the dogs didn't get their walk....BIG mistake.
They'd been driving us nuts all night barking, and playing...or I should say Growling and PURING (that high pitched throat gargle) and screaming at each other. We finally think things have calmed down a bit, about 11:45 or so...Daisy is in bed, and Bowser is sitting in the corner chewing up a new bottle (empty apple juice container). We decide to take advantage of the moment.
Just as things became very interesting, from out of nowhere, Bowser launches all of his 50 pounds of self onto the bed, and as we scream and shove our feet at him to ward him away....he starts turning rapid circles. Over and over he turns in a circle, growling and fending off feet like an wobbly lopsided ceiling fan. I collapse into laughter...since he was STILL doing it...and the hubby picks him up and deposits him into his kennel..."locking" the door. He turns around, tries to act suave and returns to the bed, just in time to see a rocket shoot out of the kennel....bark loudly in defiance, and once again launch itself cumbersomely onto the bed to be warded off once again with feet and laughter and hands. The swirling starts again, then dramatically stops as he lands curled in a ball on the other side of a pillow, puts his head down, and stares.

The lock on the kennel door was eventually established. I have to say though, this was the most amusing interruption we've had. He just wouldn't quit twirling *lol* It was so bizarre...and I couldn't quit laughing *lol*

·
Registered
774 Posts
The basset sleeps with my daughter, but the other two sleep in our room. We occasionally get the impression they are looking at us like "What the heck are you doing?"

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Boomer was only in our room once, and that was enough. Hubby was trying to hold him back with one hand, and I was laughing my silly head off.

When we are affectionate otherwise, hugging, kissing, Boomer can't stand it and always tries to get between us.

·
Registered
973 Posts
This reminds me of the time Adam Sandler filled in for a talk show host (Conan maybe, I can't remember) and brought on his bulldog Matzo Ball as his first guest. He asked a question like this :p I can't access youtube here but it's on there, pretty funny.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The dogs don't sleep with us. They'll sleep with me occaisonally when my husband is working nights. But we shut them out of the room when it's "personal" time. We don't even want to deal with that. But luckily they don't mind when we kiss or whatever. When we're snuggling on the couch, Virga takes the opportunity to stretch out across both our laps. Silly puppy!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don't have to deal with that with Gwenny. She is still sleeping in her crate at night. My cat likes to bother us though. haha

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol
usually we put up the gate to the stairs and leave them downstairs. Or lock them in their kennels. Bowser does sleep with us now, but I don't know what we were thinking....and really I have NO Idea what he was thinking other than "hey get that foot out of my face!! I'll bite it!!" lol!!!
Totally ridiculous on our part!! LOL but i wish i'd had it on tape *LOL*

·
Registered
103 Posts
I know exactly how you feel! Anytime anyone is on the bed both of mine instantly think "Oh it must be time to sit/lay as close as possible to whoever is on the bed time"

For 'adult' time Ella has to be in her kennel, she doesn't know what personal boundaries mean. Ringo doesn't like when he sits on the bed and the blankets move around so he just gets off and goes to the living room.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I love this thread. Mattie does not want my husband or me any where close to each other, it does not matter if we are hugging, kissing or whatever. If she catches us she is in the middle of us. When we do try to sneak, she catches us and she is crying and barking, I get a laughing he keeps going shh to the dog. It is the farest thing from romance there is.

We call Mattie the best birth control around. LOL!!:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Every time Porter see/hear my husband and I kiss, he thinks we are eating something and he always wants a piece of it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, we must be really lucky! LOL Beau figures out that it's NOT play/doggy snuggle time and wanders out to sleep on the couch, which is where he sleeps at night anyway. GingerSnap, the Dachshund, just hops down to her bed beside ours and mumbles her displeasure. Loudly. While turning in circles and trying to wrap herself up like a burrito in her blanket. GingerSnap is a BRAT. Beau is a nearly perfect dog. LOL

·
Registered
562 Posts
I will confess to not really worrying about the dog's presence in the room. They sleep in their beds on the floor next to ours, and sometimes we just pretend they aren't there. Hopefully they aren't too horrified.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts