Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Sounds like you might have to set up a small kennel area for your rock eater to use while you're gone, one that's free of rocks. I have a rock eater who needed $2,000 worth of surgery last June. She now wears a muzzle to go outside, but when we're not home the dogs are in the house. I hope to one day have an in-and-out setup for the dogs, and it will be concrete slab to avoid rocks.

This is a serious problem, one that cannot be overlooked or your dog will pay with his life. An added warning: pieces of rawhide can be just as life threatening to a dog as rocks. I don't give rawhide chews to my dogs unless I'm around to keep an eye on them.....

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hi,
Well, I think all young bassets tend to do this kind of thing. Our Monty is now over 1 year old, and he is still inclined
to grab a stone (we call them over here) and try to chew/swallow it. I think you just have to be on the ball
and take them away from them.
And they may just be bored, and are a looking for a game or two ??!!!

If they do go in at one end, check to make sure they come out at the other ! Otherwise a trip to the vet will be necessary !

Good luck !

Andrew :)[/b]

Andrew,

Vigilance is a wonderful thing, as long as it works -- but when it doesn't, the dog will pay with his/her life. NOT muzzling, in some instances, is negligence in the extreme.

As for what causes some dogs to be rock eaters while others aren't, there is a theory that breeding is at the bottom of some of this.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.