Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. I'm new to the board - allthough i have been reading a and learning a lot!!

I have 2 bassets - Lexie and Wellington.

Lexie we've had since 8 weeks of age, but old Wellie we adopted in September (I think). He's about 4yrs and Lex is turning 2 soon.

Since then he's been to hospital twice for swallowing rocks. The most recent was last week where our boy swollowed a heart shaped rock and almost got operated, but thank goodness he pooped it out (truly a miracle - the vets were flabergasted!!).

My question is: why do they do this??? and can we stop it??

we have paved most of the problem areas in our backyard.

Please help!

Many Thanks,
Simone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D stop feeding then rocks and try dog food :lol: you will just have to keep a closer eye on them.my uncle had one eat some,some were passed,one didn't $2000.00 for a operation to get it out.[/b]

I know - we feed them Vet's choice - equal to royal canine...don't know if you get the food there! but the op would have cost us R8000 which is about $8000/7 i think!! but its a huge amount in SA Rand.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Connie, thanks for all the help and advise...we have ordered a muzzle from the Vet, but the problem is we both work all day and we think he eats the rocks out of boredom or separation anxiety. The Vet also said we couldnt leave him with it on in the day time as they sometimes want to vomit and could choke.So we have cleaned up the yard as much as we could and paved the problem areas.
He hates the muzzle and tries pulling it off...shame....so we really don't know if we should get the muzzle...

we also bought them lots of raw hide bones and a ball to play with in the daytime...so to avoid the boredom.

I was also wondering if we shouldnt let them go up to our second gate to look out of the yard. but people are funny and might tease or steal our doggies...and you know bassets - they will just lap up all the attention!!!

what do you think?

thanks again,
Simone

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like you might have to set up a small kennel area for your rock eater to use while you're gone, one that's free of rocks. I have a rock eater who needed $2,000 worth of surgery last June. She now wears a muzzle to go outside, but when we're not home the dogs are in the house. I hope to one day have an in-and-out setup for the dogs, and it will be concrete slab to avoid rocks.

This is a serious problem, one that cannot be overlooked or your dog will pay with his life. An added warning: pieces of rawhide can be just as life threatening to a dog as rocks. I don't give rawhide chews to my dogs unless I'm around to keep an eye on them.....[/b]

Any suggestions about what i can give them to play with outside?

the hooves the chew and Wellie wants to swallow them aswell!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.