Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'll try to make sense... about 5 days ago Lea started limping, back foot but not very much. Now it seems to have moved to her front paw but I can't really tell 100%. Today was our 1st real snowfall and either she's very scared of the trucks or it's something else but she shivered almost all afternoon, hid behind the furniture and sticks to me like glue. I called the vet, talked to the receptionist who told me I'd have to go in for xrays. Lea's also off her food tonight. I read all the posts I could find on limping and shivering and honestly don't know where to start. Any ideas would be helpful. Oh yeah she also won't go outside she really does seem scared... even with Kit her buddy.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Our Daisy shivers when she is in pain from her arthritis, then we know to up her medication. How old is Lea? Lameness that travels from one leg to another can sometimes be panosteitis, but this usually affects younger dogs only. This is something that is usually outgrown. It is a prevalent problem in bassets. Good luck - it is so horrible when they are under the weather. Keep us posted...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for answering, geez this is hard on me and my poor Lea. She is definitly scared of anything that blows snow. She woke me up last night shivering again and I could hear a snow truck somewhere. As for the limping it's very strange. I tried to figure out if she was in any pain anywhere but nothing seems to hurt. I checked between her toes, palpated her whole leg.. nothing. She's still staying very close to me this morning and still limping but the shivering seems to only be associated with snow trucks. Oh as for her age I'm not really sure as she was a rescue but the vet says she's approx 1 year old and I don't think they know anything about bassets here they are so rare.

Lou

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Shiverng can be pain or fear.

My Yogi has fear aggression and is especially frightened of loud noises --- a problem here, given I live in the country around a lot of hunters, and they do like to shoot dinner. Thunder and lightning storms send him into a panic.

I've found NO solution for it. I don't want to put him on doggie trans because he's a complete goofball delight most of the time, and I really don't want to put a damper on that. Desensitizing hasn't worked, either. He's so sensitive that, say, if I open a jar and it pops, POOF, he's gone.

I'm seriously considering Benadryling him when big storms blow through.

The problem is, you absolutely have to determine whether she's in pain or simply fearful --- or even both. Since she's also limping, I'd bet both. But figuring out the source of the pain --- you can't do it on your own. And you have to make sure it isn't a back injury or similar.

I'd get her to a vet for a checkup. I'd also watch her behavior around loud noises. If she has both a fear of loud noises and pain, it really wn't take you long to determine which is which, once you begin treating the source of the pain.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Most vets (at least here anyway) don't seem to know anything about panosteitis ... but I hear it's common for bassets... it's like a rotating lameness.

Both my Mocha and Beldin seem to get it occationally (even now) and they're just over a year old.

It started though when they were about 6 months. Beldin got so bad the first time he would literally lay there and shake ... but nothing seemed wrong with him that we could tell... we did the same thing with feeling his toes and leg etc.

When we brought him to the vet I was so scared we'd have to put him down because we had NO idea what was wrong with him and the vet seemed clueless.

We ended up taking him to another one who did x-rays and he didn't seem to know either.

I finally called the breeder (should have done that in the first place) and she told us about panosteitis.

We ended up finding a vet that knew what that was, ran some tests and confirmed it.

Since then Mocha and Beldin have had a few bouts of it but it always eventually goes away.

The vet told me it's sort of like extreme growing pains and there's not much we can really do about it except comfort our babies when it happens.

Also he said it could keep coming back until they're done growing at about 2 years old.

So if your fur-baby is about a year old... this -might- be the problem.

Good luck! I hope your Lea feels better soon and that it's nothing more serious than "Pano".

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update..
Well Lea's still limping but the shivering stopped early yesterday morning and she was back to her old self eating, playing and getting into trouble. She ate my futon today :roll:

I don't know what to do about the snow trucks however I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for your input I was really worried.

Lou

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Pano is definately a problem in Bassets.The thing is unless you are taking long walks or runs daily Pano will usually run its course and go away. The best thing to do is to keep her confined in her crate or a small area for a time so she isn't on the leg much.The age that Pano is most likely to occur at is as earlie as three months to as late as 12-15 months.I treated my dogs like they were a very large breed like a Mastiff and don't take them for long walks till they are at least over a year old.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information. I usually take my dogs out for a 20 minute walk in the morning and evenings but it's been so cold we haven't been out for 4 days at least. Lea's in her crate when I go to school but I can't keep her in there when I'm at home and school is finished. Also my dogs really like to play together and even though Lea's tied up in the backyard to do her business (not for long periods) she loves to play with Kit. I'm going to have to come up with a plan B.

Lou

1 - 8 of 8 Posts