Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't visited this site for a long time, but for those who remember him, thought I would post that Otto passed in June of hemangeosarcoma . He had a perfect yearly check up the beginning of June, started limping on his right front leg a few days later, was gone in 5 days. This is an extremely aggressive cancer, my head is still not grasping how fast he went. Otto was only 8 and we thought we'd have him for many more years. RIP my good boy.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
So sorry to read this - at only 8 you are bound to feel so cheated. I know I did when we had to let Frankie go at 10.5 after he went off his back legs and with his other problems, it was the kindest thing to do. It hurts. Especially as it now looks as if he will be our last. He's been gone for 2 + years now and yet losing him is still very raw. We've now had two apple-fall seasons and no Frankie to proudly bring one in for me to chop up. I keep thinking your apples are ready and waiting Frankie-boy. :cry:

FWIW I always feel if you can get a hound past 8, he should have quite a number of years left. But not always. Do you still have a Basset(s)?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No more bassets.
A couple of years ago, we started adopting old small dogs which, at my age, I can manage better than a large heavy dog..
We rescued a small 15 year old mix, Lily, who came from a hoarding situation from a woman with Alzheimers. We lost Lily to a brain tumor after only 8 months.
Now we have a 14 year old mini dachshund named Heidi,whose owner passed away and left her without a home. Heidi's kidneys are starting to fail so I don't think we'll have her much longer.
When she passes we'll start looking for another old dog who has been left behind... sadly, there are a lot out there.
I was fortunate to have 2 wonderful sweet bassets over the past 20 years, Murray and Otto. Bassets will always remain my favorite breed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts