Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning the ears of the pups today and after lots of screaming (dixie always has an ear infection and its a pretty bad one) Stonewall came willingly for his cleaning. I flipped over his ear only to find - RINGWORM!

Now when I showed goats in high school ringworm was an everyday occurence. I've had it about 5 or 6 times and its not really a huge deal but I don't really feel like dealing with it on myself so of course I've been washing my hands lots.

My question is this - we used to doctor ringworm with vick's vapor rub (name brand only no off brand!) and I wondered if anyone had heard of doing this with dogs? The menthol in the vicks smothered the fungus and it being such thick gel stuff the ringworm dies...

I also wondered about Tinactin considering its a fungus killer... I know my MIL dog has a fungus infection on the inside of her ear and the vet told her to use Tinactin....

Just wondered if anyone else's houndies had dealt with this lovely fungi. ;)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Is Vicks petroleum based? I had heard that petroleum based products aren't good to use on dogs and that cream based products would have less adverse effects? ..... Although I wouldn't know for sure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is Vicks petroleum based? I had heard that petroleum based products aren't good to use on dogs and that cream based products would have less adverse effects? ..... Although I wouldn't know for sure.[/b]
It very well might be. I haven't got a clue. I'm doubtful I'm going to use it... I'll see what the Tinactin brings first.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Ringworm can get out of hand very quickly, and as you already know, it will transmit to humans as well as other animals. Before you all wind up infected, I'd suggest a trip to the vet's. They'll give you appropriate, effective meds to get this under control before everyone is infected. If you wait too long, you'll have a heck of a time with it.

Any other animals in the house besides the dogs? I know someone with four kids, three cats, and two dogs who had ringworm running rampant through everyone for months before she got a handle on the situation. I was very costly. Had she taken care of the kitten who brought this home before everyone else got infected, life would have been much easier for all concerned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts