Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hank has a big red ringworm on his tummy. He loves to bite at it.. He got it from a stray cat my boyfriend and I named "Milo" who wanders around the house at night.
Just one occurrence where he played with Milo and he got a ringworm. :(
I bought some athletes foot stuff to put on it (It says it cures ringworm on the backside of the box), so hopefully it'll work.

Any of Y'all had bad ringworm experiences before?

Also, on that note, Hank has been really energetic since it's been getting colder. (No more 105+ degree weather lately.) Does the mood of any of Y'all's dogs change as the season change?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Ours do change. Living in the desert where it gets to 120 regularly it's too hot to go out much. Even when it cools down the ground is still to hot for them to want to walk. In about another month it will cool down so that we can start hiking in the desert again. They get plenty of exercise and helps keep them out of trouble somewhat.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Yep even though I guess you wouldn't say we get that hot of weather ( I start complaining at 85 big baby I know) my dogs just love the fall weather an get very exited when it gets in the 60's.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm with you Herzo -- I am the lethargic one when the temps are above 85 -- guess its the Northern blood. Paisley -- well she is just lethargic most of the time but does run around much more in cooler temps.
Hanks Mom -- I don't know much about ring worm but is it not contageous?? Better check it out. Maybe someone on here knows?
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I forgot to address the ring worm so I came back. Yes paisleysmom I guess it's just us Northerners even though you are much farther North than me, I love fall weather.

Yes ring worm is contagious and you can catch it from the dog or the cat. I know they are going through a bout at the shelter right now but I'm not sure what they are using. I'm sure they got it from the vet.. Can you doctor the cat as well because if it stays around it may just keep giving to your pup. I will find out what they are treating it with at the shelter as they go through this every year but I am not usually one of the people that does the doctoring so I don't know.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Our dogs also enjoy the cooler weather. The other night I caught them sleeping outside on the porch instead of inside on the comfy beds.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, Herzo. Yes I should help the cat, too, but I currently can't even find the cat! :( So unfortunately, it may be spreading it around by now. It's a very friendly cat..

Lol @ Kirska. Dogs are so strange sometimes. I think that's a sign that they want to go camping....~

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oh great...So you mean that the Gator Girlz are going to get even MORE hyper when it gets cooler out!!!!

OY VEY!!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Anyone may correct me if I'm wrong but the way I understand ringworm is it is a fungus that is usually treated by oral medications ,not so much topical. Call your Vet to be sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My boxer has had ringworm all summer. It is going to take weeks for it to clear up. We started using a topical cream called conofite but she kept licking at it too much so we went back to the vet. We are now using an oral med. It is a pill that we give her once a day called novo ketoconazole. I have to hide it in her food because she doesn't like it on it's own. It is starting to clear up nicely, but slowly.
Ringworm is very contagious. I think my basset might be getting it on her ear. Humans can get it too. My son has it on his arm and we are using a topical cream for that. We have to disinfect everything that the dog has touched. Wash all of her bedding, shampoo the carpets and the couch. It is a lot of work, but I a willing to do anything to make the dogs healthy and happy. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts