Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My Franklin has just started taking Rimadyl for arthritis. He also takes a glucosamine/chondritin supplement.

My question is: does Rimadyl take some getting used to? Franklin seems dizzy on his first dosage.

We were watching Star Wars on the TV and he was staring at the action like he was stoned!!!

Anyhow,thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I'd call your vet to find out if he wants you to give Franklin the next dose.

[ June 06, 2005, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]

·
Registered
249 Posts
Deciding to Use Rimadyl

Carefully decide whether Rimadyl is appropriate for your dog by weighing the benefits against the risks. Keep in mind that it has been widely reported that many veterinarians are not fully informed about this drug. As Stephen Fried so eloquently summarizes in his book, Bitter Pills: "It's a question of whether the potential benefit is worth the risk and whether the patient understands that risk -- which depends on whether the doctor knows enough about the drug to really explain the risk."

If you decide your dog may benefit from Rimadyl and it is worth the risks involved, tell your vet that you want to determine the lowest possible dosage that can be used to obtain relief. Although the recommended dosage is 1mg/pound of weight twice per day, your dog may get relief at a lower dosage. A lower dosage could be instrumental in avoiding toxicity (although this is not guaranteed). In addition, your vet may recommend that Rimadyl be used for short periods (several weeks), or intermittently, as needed, with time off (several weeks) to give the dog's liver time to recover.

Insist on baseline tests and continued monitoring of the relevant functions during the entire time your dog takes the drug. Pfizer only recommends this and does not indicate that it is a requirement.

To avoid the gastric upset that occurs in some dogs, the drug should be given with food. Pepcid may also be used concurrently to control gastric upset.

As soon as your dog begins Rimadyl therapy and during the entire time he takes it, watch for the following symptoms, all signs of potential life-threatening reactions to the drug:

loss of appetite
change in drinking habits (refusal to drink or increased water consumption)
unusual pattern of urination, blood in the urine, sweet-smelling urine, an overabundance of urine, urine accidents in the house
vomiting
diarrhea
black, tarry stools or flecks of blood in the vomit
lethargy, drowsiness, hyperactivity, restlessness, aggressiveness
staggering, stumbling, weakness or partial paralysis, full paralysis, seizures, dizziness, loss of balance
jaundice (yellowing of the skin, mucus membranes and whites of the eyes)
In the presence of any of these symptoms, IMMEDIATELY STOP the drug and take your dog to the vet. The earlier you catch the problem, the better the chances of complete recovery.

http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/rimadylfr.html

That's a really good site on Rimadyl.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
The above site looks rather biased to me. The "selected reports" heavily favor the negative, and the site seems designed to scare people about using Rimadyl.

Here is a more balanced discussion of possible complications.
There is an approximately one in 1000 chance of a dog on carprofen developing nausea, appetite loss, vomiting or diarrhea. If any of the above are noted, carprofen should be discontinued and the dog brought in for a liver enzyme blood test. In most cases, the reaction is minor and resolves with symptomatic relief, but it is important to rule out whether or not the patient has more than just a routine upset stomach (see below)
I have a 14 year old dog that has been taking Rimadyl for about a year and a half without problems. I agree with Barb, though, that if you have any doubts, checking with your vet is the place to start. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Kermit's vet is fine with Rimadyl, but the owner of the clinic tried it on her dog and he got very sick so the clinic recommends Metacam. Kermit is on that and it seems to work great for him.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Keep in mind that it has been widely reported that many veterinarians are not fully informed about this drug.
This book was written in 1998. If my vet didn't know the risks/benefits and prescribing recommendations for Rimadyl by now, I'd be looking for a new veterinarian.

A

·
0 Posts
Talk to your vet if you have concerns.

We had a Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier who had a terrible time moving around in the morning and seemed in pain throughout the day due to arthritis. We put her on Rimadyl and she was a different dog in four short days -- running, jumping and playing again. For us, Rimadyl was truly a miracle drug. We had her liver enzymes tested periodically -- and she did fine on the drug.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I've had two dogs on Rimadyl--One daily, on and off, for 2 years and one occsaionally throughout her life. We've not had any trouble. It was a godsend for the first dog who would look years younger after he was on it for a couple of days. The diagnosis for the other one was never established (pano? muscle? arthritis?), and it doesn't seem to do much for her, but it hasn't hurt her either. I'm curious about metacam. What the difference in the side effect profile--and is it more effective for certain types of things?

With any drug, there are risks--just think about the scary things aspirin can do to you, but quality of life is so important with these guys. Check in with your vet--they should be well aware of the costs/benefits of Rimadyl by now.

Sharon
Pearl, CDX, RN, CGC
Bella, CGC

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Franklin had a baseline done prior to starting his rimadyl. He is scheduled in for another bloodpanel in 2 weeks. He seems to be fine today. His stools are normal, as are his appetite and drinking patterns. He never misses a meal, so I'd know right away if there is a problem. I guess he was just really into Star Wars...

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts