Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have another opinion type question. We all know how cruel it is to leave dogs in cars on hot days, even with the windows cracked, I still think it is bad.

I drive a small car, probably the smallest car, a Smart Car. Behind the seats is a perfectly flat rectangular area bigger than Maggie's crate. We put her bed back there and she enjoys going for car rides. The space is probably two feet long and the width of the interior of the car. So we take Maggie places with us and she seems to enjoy the rides, she either sleeps or looks out the windows. The area is raised so when she sits and faces forwards she can rest her head on my shoulder or she looks out the back window, eliciting many smiles and waves from the folks behind me. Until the weather started getting warmer we woud take her with us for rides on errands and then leave her in the car for short periods of time so we wouldn't need to leave her crated at home. This story is getting long! :p

So the weather is getting warmer and I haven't been doing it because I don't want her to be uncomforatble. Yesterday evening I was going into the city to have dinner with my sis. I had Maggie crated for a while earlier in the day so I thought I would take her along (the ride is about 45 min each way) she could stay in the car while I had dinner and we could all go for a walk before the ride home, that way instead of being crated for 3 hours, she would be alone for perhaps an hour. I drive downtown and I'm concerned that, although it is evening, it is still warm out and I don't want to leave her in the car. I decide to pay extra to park underground where it is cool and there is no sun.

The guy in the ticket booth asks if I'm planning on leaving the dog in the car. I say yes, for a little while. He says I can't park there because people complain. I ask who complains, he says office workers and it's happened 4 or 5 times. I say that it is nice and cool down there and otherwise I will have to park out in the sun. He still won't let me park there.

So long story short (not really). I park outside and we take Maggie with us and eat at an outdoor patio where I can keep her on the other side of the patio's little wrought iron gate.

I can see complaining if someone is leaving their dog in the car all day or for a short time out in the sun. But is it really cruel to leave your dog in the car for a short amount of time if it is a nice temperature in the car? How is that different than a crate?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sounds like a case of lazy parking attendant, and good, but misguided intentions of strangers.

If you're going to leave your dog in a parked car, ask yourself this: Would you leave yourself in the same spot for the same amount of time with the windows rolled up? (windows rolled down an inch don't count, as the air circulation is negligible)

Something else to consider: Some interiors absorb a lot of heat in the sun, and would radiate back into a car interior even when parked in the shade.

My two bits.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I follow your logic, but personally I wouldn't leave a dog in the car anymore than I would leave a child.

She could get into something and hurt herself, someone could break in and take her-

Eating on the patio sounds like it was a good solution- we've done that with Murray lots of times on road trips- there are a surprising number of dog-friendly resataurants that allow this as long as the dog is well-behaved.

·
Registered
59 Posts
:lol: I would love to be able to take Moosie to a restaurant with us...but he would not sit outside the gate, he would want a seat at the table. I guess in that case, it has to be the local Doggie Diner!

·
Registered
775 Posts
I also would not leave my dog in a car no matter what the weather. Too me it's like leaving a child unattended in a car. That's just my opinion. I won't even run an errand and leave the dogs outside in the backyard. I make sure they are in the house when I'm not here.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have only left Lily in the car for a matter of minutes (running into 7-11) and I felt incredibly guilty. I do not like to leave them in a car, just like others said it's like leaving a child in a car...anything can happen. On a side note there is this car I've seen around here several times that has a dog crate in their car and they have a sign posted "NO ANIMAL IN THE CRATE AT THIS TIME" just so people know that they aren't leaving their animal in the car...sorry about the side track... In general I think people do not like animals being left in the car no matter the weather...you just shouldn't take the chance...

~Heather

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have to agree with the general consensus of the board. I wouldn't leave Dixie in the car under any cirucumstances. If I can't take her out with me, then she stays home. That being said. Dixie loves to ride. We often take her to ball practice, where she gets lots of petting and love from children and adults alike. When we travel and go camping, she's right there beside us. When we get out to stretch our legs and get a drink, so does she. She's totally spoiled. :blink: [attachment=365:100_0452.JPG]

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Since my dogs and I spend so much time in the car/van, it is pretty much our second home. I've been travelling with single and multiple dogs for close to 30 years. I am VERY careful under what conditions I will leave a dog in a car for any length of time, however I've left them there for prolonged periods in appropriate conditions with no difficulties whatsoever. Mine are so accustomed to being in the car that they simply curl up and sleep unless something is happening. The only incident I ever had was a rescue bagel with separation anxiety who ate my seatbelts during the 10 minutes I was gone.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My girls love to go in the car. I always take them with if I'm running errands. I usually never spend more than 5 minutes inside a place with the girls in the car. They are such seasoned pros that they just sit there with their noses out the back window waiting for my return. Seems that 9 times out of 10 I will be returning to the car with some kind of treat.

That being said I live in a small Midwestern town where I won't have to worry about anyone harassing them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting replies. I always make very, very sure that there is no problem with the temperature in the car. Other than that, I'm in an area where I'm not concerned about her safety as a result of other people. She will just curl up and go to sleep and the area I leave her in has no more safety hazards than a kennel.

Thank you all for your replies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts