Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Tucker to the vet today, because it seemed like his left front paw was turned out more than usual. The vet thinks it might be rickets and gave me Clovite(vitamin supplement) to give him. Has anyone had a basset with rickets or used Clovite? I asked about doing a blood test, but he didn't seem to think it was necessary. I guess I'll try this for awhile and see if it helps.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear this. :(

I adopted a kitten when I was a kid, and we found out fairly quickly she had rickets. I THINK the remedy was cod liver oil or something similar. :( ) --- I'm pretty sure she grew pretty normally once we got her started on it.

Poor Tucker. :( Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I didn't know animals even got rickets.
You would think his dog food would provide enough nutrition to ward that off. What was he eating?

I hope he gets better, let us know what happens with his treatment.
Joan

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tucker has always eaten Eukanuba dry puppy food since we brought him home. I asked the vet the same question and he said that just like people that they their bodies use food differently. What might be good for one dog might be for another.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If his foot is turning outward, please consider taking him to see an orthopedic vet - one whohas had some experience wiht bassets. It could - and i say *could*, mostly because I find it hard to belive that a basset fed a high-quality food could have rickets - be something more serious, like ununited ancoineal process. This is when one of the two bones in the lower forleg stops growing too soon. This causes the other bone to curve inward, bowing the leg, displacing the joint, and often causing the foot to turn outward. It can be very painful for the dog, and is sometimes seen in bassets. It most commonly first appears between 12-24 weeks of age, but can occur later.

Some more information:

http://www.vetcentric.com/reference/encycE...ION=1&MODE=full

http://www.connollyac.com/encycEntry.cfm?E...lness&MODE=full

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I was a teenager (many years ago) we had a male basset hound who had rickets in one of his front legs. I never really understood what rickets was but he limped on that leg all the time. The man who gave him to us said to give him calcium in powder form. We got that from the drug store. It made his leg alright as long as we gave it to him. Stop for a few weeks and he started limping again. I've heard in this forum from somebody a few months ago that calcium might be bad for dogs. So, I'm not recommending you give your dog calcium for rickets but it sure worked for Body.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Emmy, rickets is a vitamin deficiency which affects the bones.

That said, I got curious and did a web search on rickets ... and got about 95 billion hits on other diseases for dosg which have been misdiagnosed as rickets or something. :confused: In other words, it appears there's a lot of diseases which used to be diagnosed as rickets but are separate diseases or something.

:confused:

I suspect --- I suspect --- well, I don't know what to say. Just that it appears to be a more complex diagnosis or whatever than I know what to do with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for info. Menzie. I think I'll try the vitamin powder for a few weeks and see if it helps. If I don't see any improvement, I'm going to get a second opinion. The only problem with going to an orthopedic vet is that I would have to go down to Ohio State which is almost 2 hours away. Also, as of now Tucker is not in any pain and only limped a little bit one day. He still runs and plays all day. However, if I think it's not getting better, I will certainly get another opinion.

Thanks everybody for your concern and help. I will keep you posted on how Tucker is doing. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Menzie, that info & link you gave above was great! That's exactly what our 2 had, but I'd never seen a medical name & explanation for it before; we'd guessed it was a genetic problem (since they were siblings we bought at a pet store...I know, 'pet store puppies', we didn't know any better at the time.) They both had surgery before they were a year old. We caught it with Ethel early but Lucy's didn't show up until later, and she will have a weaker right front leg for the rest of her life. Both of them have one leg that turns outward but it doesn't hinder their happiness in any way. Sorry to crash the topic but thanks again for posting that info, much appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts