Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to United Against Puppy Mills "Update on Legislation for Dogs" dated January 2008:

"Proposed kennel regualtions were introduced in Dec. 2006, but have not been enacted. On Jan. 24, 2008 the first Dog Law Advisory Meeting of 2008 was held- changes to the proposed keneel regulations were discussed along with possible new legislation. The revised kennel regualtions are expected to be made public in the coming months.

According to the Lancaster New Era and Jesse L. Smith, Esq. Special Deputy Secretary of Dog Law Enforcement, citations issued to kennel owners in Lancaster County were up 143% in 2007. Lancaster County, which has the highest number in Pennsylvania of K-5 kennels (250 plus dogs), saw a 30% increase in the number of inspections in 2007.....several kennel owners have voluntarily relinquished their kennel licenses while others have had their licenses revoked."

When the revised regulations are made public, I'll let you all know-

Mary Gottfried

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I hope the new regs are NOT watered down.

It's good to hear that inspections are increasing and licesnes are being revoked. I am so hopeful that PA really cracks down on these places and that other states follow their lead.

I'll be anxious to see the new regs when they are published.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
This an issue that I have written to Gov.Rendell about, as has many PA dog owners. The problem with the way the Kennel regulations were first introduced would have made a number of problems for someone like me who shows my dogs as a hobby and has a litter once in a while.I would have had to adhere to the same restrictions and housing set up as a kennel even though my dogs are in my home. Almost everything a kennel or puppy mill would need to do so would reputable breeders, lumped in with the lot. So what may be seen by some as watering down may be just making it a little more fair for those of us who are not doing damage to our breed or anyone elses.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This an issue that I have written to Gov.Rendell about, as has many PA dog owners. The problem with the way the Kennel regulations were first introduced would have made a number of problems for someone like me who shows my dogs as a hobby and has a litter once in a while.I would have had to adhere to the same restrictions and housing set up as a kennel even though my dogs are in my home. Almost everything a kennel or puppy mill would need to do so would reputable breeders, lumped in with the lot. So what may be seen by some as watering down may be just making it a little more fair for those of us who are not doing damage to our breed or anyone elses.[/b]
I agree with you that the proposals need some re-working. It's so hard to write legislation that will crack down on the puppymills and still not penalize folks like you and sportsmen like Billy Milko and Dean.

If Pennsylvania can do this though, it can be used as a model for other states who have the same problems with these huge puppymill operations. I'm anxious to see what they come up with, and I'm hoping for the best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts