Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Basset friends!!

My husband and I (we were married last Saturday -- yay!) currently have a male basset who is just over 1 year old. We adopted him last September -- he wasn't a rescue, a woman surrendered him back to the breeder when she couldn't keep him for personal reasons. Anyway, ever since Watson was settled in our home, we have been thinking of adopting another.

I think we have settled on rescuing an adult basset (well, under the age or 4). We have started the process with a local rescue organization, and we should be approved after a successful home inspection. So I'm wondering -- do any of you wonderful basset gurus have advice about bringing a rescued basset into a home with an "only basset"?

Watson is pretty laid-back and has been very easy to train. He still has some of that puppy energy, but spends his evenings curled up in his bed. He gets along well with other pups and is not overly dominant. I'm just concerned that they won't get along or the adjustment process will be a lot to handle. Any advice, warnings, tips?

·
Registered
616 Posts
We've had Rosco since he was a puppy. He was the only basset for almost a year, when we decided to rescue another hound. We took him with us to meet the hound we we're interested in to see how they would interact. It turned out that Layla didn't really care about Rosco and he didn't really seem interested in her. At first there was some jealousy issues (food/resource guarding) but that didn't last very long. They are now the best of friends.

My best suggestion is to take Watson with you to meet and interact with the hound your interested in.

We now have 3 hounds and I can't imagine my life without them!

·
Registered
973 Posts
My dog was an "only dog" and didn't do well but we adopted Anabelle anyway. It's a year later now and while they don't play with each other, they don't fight either. After about the first month they just became mostly indifferent to each other. I don't think you will have a problem long term unless they are both very dominant. There is always an adjustment period though.

It is a lot to handle sometimes but just be patient and give them time to adjust to the family changes.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Maggie was 2 when we fostered Daisy who was 1year old. We are now failed foster parents. They get along great and we have never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have two rescues, a Basset and a Pit Bull.I think you need to have them meet on neutral ground first, then if you can take them on a long walk.If you have to bring it home first don't go in the house.Just take off on a long walk together.That's what I did with the Pit.He was the last one I got.I think it worked better that way.It has been about 1 year now.The Bullmastiff and Pit get along great, but I have to watch the Basset she will take him sometimes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts