Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our two seniors went the bridge in March and June and we could not wait too long to get another. We rescued Isabella this week, maybe 11 months, and cannot tell if she maybe had a litter. She came to us spayed but with full teats (no leakage). No history. And having pups in the past that I have spayed I have never experienced this. Also, a friend's male (non-neutered) came to visit and kept trying to mount her. Please educate me. This maybe the one aspect of basset onwership I have yet to learn.

·
Registered
562 Posts
When we rescued Layla she was recently spayed but she had what looked like mama nipples to us. Our male didn't try to mount her for a long time but she would occasionally try to mount him. I'm not sure if you're just looking for general stuff or have a specific concern, but Layla's never had any negative issues related to maybe having pups that we can tell. She really likes female children - the neighbor's daughter is her favorite person in the neighborhood.

·
Registered
972 Posts
in my experience with dogs (and cats) in general, if their mama teats look like that, then it's very likely she's had a litter. Also, once they've had a litter and then been spayed, it's more likely that they will still have kind of...issues or something each time they normally would have been in heat. Well, my mom swears her weenie dog dogs, and we know for a fact she had a litter and was then spayed before my parents took her in.

and yeah, i think the humping thing could be related too, because bowser has been fixed since he was four years old but he was interested in my mom's weenie dog. He has never tried to hump anything except her, and he lives with our girl beagle, daisy. Daisy was fixed when she was very young though, and has never had a litter and he couldn't care less about mounting her...SHE humps HIM though, but she is always testing dominance.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
It's also possible that she had a false pregnancy.
Just because the teats are hanging doesn't mean she had pups. People used to ask me all the time if Chili had had a lot of litters - before she even had one!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Humping can also be a dominance issue. I've seen dogs that were neutered before they came into sexual maturity that still exhibit humping behavior.

Dog Humping Explained

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah I'd guess she's probably going through a false pregnancy. Our girl is going through one right now and is all full of milk... stinks as it's just time for her to be in the ring next weekend so she'll be pretty saggy. Oh well... timing is everything and they never really follow our timing do they.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Humping can also be a dominance issue.
Nope it is sexual in nature but not an indication of wheter the dog was or was intact had puppies etc.

Oh behave: Love and mounting
My female dog mounts other dogs. Why does she do it? I assume she’s dominating others. She’ll be playing well with a dog and then suddenly she’s mounting him or her. I find it obnoxious and so do many other owners. What’s the best way to get her to stop doing it?
Ah, love. I’ll tip the hand early and tell you the greatest likelihood is that mounting is a sexual behaviour. In fact, I think this could stand some screaming from the rooftops: mounting is sex, mounting is sex, mounting is sex! That this is not obvious to any onlooker is pretty amazing.[/url]

Canine mounting behavior
OK, everybody, raise your hand if you’ve been told that mounting behaviors are a dog being dominant.

Keep them up if you’ve been told that by two or more trainers or vets or dog-savvy people.

I would imagine most of you could keep them up until I reached about a dozen. Mounting = dominance has become one of the standby lines in dog training.

Because I am a dog nerd, a couple of years ago I started paying attention to any kind of mounting, whether in my own group of dogs or in classes or out and about, and trying to determine what was causing it and what the dogs were thinking. In that time I’ve seen hundreds and hundreds of repetitions.

And you know how many times it looked like dominance to me?

ZERO.

Mounting is practiced by all members of the pack, including the ones that most often take a submissive role (hello, Bronte) and the mount-ee does not display the submission or tension behaviors (ear flattening, air licking, rolling on the back, whale eye, etc.) that are characteristic of a dominance/submission display. Nor does the mount-ee turn and display any kind of status behaviors to the mounter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts