Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not currently own any bassets, but will be getting one from a rescue agency near here in a couple of weeks. Any ideas or suggestions on what to get? male/female, younger/older etc... I have a 4 yr old chow mix, male, who is very laid back and a 2 yr old who is not :lol: Just curious if anybody had any info or suggestions. They have like 25 bassets to choose from. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my experience it is easier on the dogs to mix male and female. And I would go for an adult between one and a half and four to get over those teenage years but still have them around for a long time. I hope you get a great dog!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Bravo for chosing a rescue dog!!

My expereince in dealing with rescues is that they are pretty good about matching one of their dogs to an adoptive home. I'd talk to them about my household and see what they recommend.

Congratulations on your soon-to-be new addition.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW my 2 yr old is a human...haha.....I didn't specify. I have heard that bassets are great for kids...true? My mix is so wonderful with him, I really want another that will be also.

·
Registered
33 Posts
yes it is true that bassets are good family/kid dogs. I say since you have a male, get a female. I have two bassets (male/female) and they get along wonderfully. What area are you from? Are there any basset rescues near you? And if you get one from a rescue odds are that it will be about 2 to 5 because people usually keep them until the puppy wares out and then they dump them (sadly) BUT sometimes you can get lucky and a rescue will have a pup under 1. I got bogart at about 4 months and pumpkin at about 2 or 3 so my next one will be a "middle" aged one bc i am out of the phase where i have to have a puppy.. bogart was enough puppy for me haha.

But like elvis' mom said.. they will match you up

good luck! :]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am in Louisiana. They have a rescue about an hour from me, but they only have a few. They also have one 4 hrs away that has over 20 to choose from (all ages). My mom lives in the same city(near New Orleans) so I may just take a trip to visit her and the rescue at the same time. To be honest I am not looking for a puppy. I have a 2 yr old and he is enough energy to handle! I will probably look at 1-3 yrs. I guess I will just have to wait and talk to the rescue when I am able to get over there. Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
yeah bogart is now 2 and he is alot calmer and it will be better too because sometimes when they are younger they dont realized how big they are and knock little kids down unless they are trained not to jump. I was going to say Basset hound Rescue of Georgia has a lot of bassets to choose from but im not sure if they could transport one that far but im not sure. may be worth looking at.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I would really like to be able to meet the dog before I bring it home. I think I will be able to find one near here. The problem will be choosing. Look at all these cuties! :p

Looziana Basset Rescue

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oh my goodness, if i could choose, i would probably go for:

- Rosco Bosco ( he is 1 year but soooooo adorable and he is a male so.. on looks i would choose him but he is too young for y'all and male)
- Sandy is soo precious
- Lucy is a sweet loking girl
- Daisy (personal favorite)

There are alot to choose from.. hope you find one that fits, bassets are my favorite breed.. never will i ever be without one in my house :]

·
Registered
33 Posts
aww he is so cute and fluffy...

im not use to fluff haha.. i have 2 bassets and a chihuahua..

yeah i think (by looks.. and hopefully the personality is just as beautiful and fits) if you get a girl try daisy she is gorgeous and a guy i like both of the ones you said too..

well from my name haha (redbassetlover) you can see why i said roscoe bosco haha

·
Registered
20 Posts
BTW my 2 yr old is a human...haha.....I didn't specify. I have heard that bassets are great for kids...true? My mix is so wonderful with him, I really want another that will be also.[/b]

I firmly believe that a basset is the best choice for a family with kids, I have 2 year old twins and they are not gentle, yet my two hounds are very patient, and have never snapped. So congratulations on your soon to be new amily member.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I firmly believe that a basset is the best choice for a family with kids,[/b]
As mentioned before there are general difference between males and females, and personality traits of different breeds but the differences of individual members far exceed that of the averages of the sub group. So it is best to evalute each dog as an individual than to have preconcieved notions.

Toughnutter was as calm, lethargic and crumegeonly as any geriatic basset as a puppy, he go more energetic and playful as he aged.

I have a basset from rescue I would never trust with a small child.

Respect the recomendation of the rescue but do not be afraid to make your own judgements as well. I would never consider an adoption site unseen regardless of how much I respected the individual trying to make a match. There are just to many time seemingly compatiable individuals rub each other the wrong way creating way to much tension and animosity for a peaceful household. You can never be sure, but at least one and even more if possible meeting at a neutral site is a good way to prevent a lot of problems later.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
No I will not get one before I meet it. I am just so excited![/b]
There is nothing wrong with being excited about the prospectes of becoming a basset owner, just be sure your heart (excitement) does not over run your head. There are times the right choice is none of the above and waiting for the right dog to come along at the right time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts