Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the day setting up the whelping box, re-arranging the furniture, and settling in a new mom and her three puppies who came into rescue this weekend.

The mom, dad and litter belonged to some woman who apparently just up and left her living situation, abandoning them with a boyfriend who was getting ready to move. The BF was originally planning to drop the whole family at the pound, but somehow made contact with the local rescue, thank goodness!

Mom is thin as a rail and looks very young herself--her teeth are pearly white with no tartar, her ribs haven't sprung and her chest hasn't dropped.

Pups are thought to be about 2-1/2 weeks old. Eyes are just open, but ears are still closed. Two boys and a girl, unless I counted someone twice. ;)

Here they are. :)

Mom Macy & babies.

Babies. I'm partial to the green one.

Mom Macy looking for cheese.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Oooooooo....they are all so cute!!! Mom looks healthy, despite under weight a bit. I have to show this to my hubby tonight. :wink:

(Eyes already open but ears still close?? no wonder they have selected hearing when they become adult) :lol:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Momma is a cutie! I'm sure you'll have no trouble placing the pups... everyone loves puppies. I sure wish I could take Momma. :(

:( Terry :(

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm glad the boyfriend found you all! Now all 4 of them will have great lives, I'm sure.

Tricolor pups, I want one sooooo bad! (Reality says no, unfortunately.)

Still, keep us up on their progress, and please post lots of pics Betsy! If I can't have one, I can still look at them for a few weeks.

I'm Very Happy that they came to rescue!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
MOm is a cutie, and the sight of basset pups always makes me smile. I hope they all thrive and she does well. Please keep us updated with pictures and kudos to you for taking the little gang in.
Sharon Hall

B

·
0 Posts
Can I pull a puppy thru monitor? <BG>. Glad they ended up with U. The Mom is pretty;but much too thin. I don't understand people lately. Thank heavens the BF brought them to :D U. . Tummy Boy's Mom.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Ohhhh, good thing you are so far away from me, Betsy, or I would be camped out at your house!

What a wonderful person you are. That little momma needed some help, and she is clearly getting it...you are such a good person. :)

What happened to the daddy dog?

Sandy

·
Registered
775 Posts
They are all so beautiful and so lucky to have found you. You are a special person to take on that responsibility. Good Luck.

C

·
0 Posts
She sure looks sweet!!! Thank goodness you were able to take care of these precious babies!!! Please keep us posted, and more pics when you can!
Annie

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Sandy and Bo
What happened to the daddy dog?
He's on his way to becoming a deadbeat dad. ;-) After he's "tutored", he'll be placed in another foster home and adopted out. :D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Aww, they're sweet. Give Mama lots of cheese. She needs it!

J

·
0 Posts
How old is the mother? She looks very young!!!!!
they are so lucky to have found you.
Jennifer

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by JenniferT
How old is the mother?  She looks very young!!!!!
My guess is 12-18 months. She's very puppyish herself. Poor thing really wants to play, but it seems like she doesn't know how to play with toys or other dogs. Fortunately, she's not aggressively fearful, which can be a problem with unsocialized rescues. Once the litter is more independent and she's not as tied down with them, I think she'll blossom. :)

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
she is so, so thin but looks so happy. :) am i imagining things, or is there a bit of relief in that look on her face?

those puppies are sweeties.

J

·
0 Posts
I agree, she does look happy. She has a wonderful expression on her face even though she is so young to have had puppies!
I hope that after this is all over she will get to be a pup herself! Molly came to us thru the humane society and had clearly never had toys. After a few months, she learned how to play ball and how to chew a bone!
Jennifer

·
Registered
782 Posts
Betsy, you are the absolute BOMB!!!!
You talk about one lucky litter! I think these little guys and their momma have just landed themselves in one perfect situation: luxury temporary digs and the chance for perfect forever homes.
On behalf of all of us basset lovers, thank you.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The big excitement today included baths all around and toenail clippings for the puppies. :D Mom's toenails look like they haven't been clipped since she was a puppy, either, but that's a much bigger project that I'll have to tackle this weekend. :oops:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts