Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Can anyone give me some advice please. :rolleyes:

Im thinking of getting a bassett from a rescue home, my only concernes are would Molly find another Bassett in the home a threat. The rescue Bassett is female and 1 year older than Molly. I thought that she would be a great companion for Molly as i do hear that Bassetts love to have another friend around. :mellow:

I would be very grateful for any advice in this matter good or bad... :unsure:

look forward to your advice :rolleyes:

Mollys Mum

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have found that most bassets love to have other bassets to play & live with. They can play with each other in ways that humans can never replace. Also, when they are keeping each other occupied you have a couple of free minutes.

If possible, I'd get the two of them togehter on neutral terriorty - like a park - and see how they react to each other.

I love being a multiple basset household and am 99% sure my dogs feel the same way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It would really depend on the Basset you are adopting. I hear stories both ways. Making a blanket statement about how 2 bassets would get along would be like making one about how 2 children will get along, even well known ones can pull surprises.

Having said that we adopted Dixie in December for a companion to Luke. We are having mixed success with it so far. I do believe she is still getting used used to the fact that this is her permanent home, after being passed around several homes I can understand that.

I think with all the problems we have with her Luke would still miss her a lot if she was gone. She still torments him relentlessly, and he is limping once again, but he still agitates her until she either plays with him or makes him bleed. I really think once he gets past his puppy stage they will become even better companions. He is just so obnoxious right now.

I think we are having more problems with her with the humans than with the Luke. She has taken to me with a passion and she growls not only when Luke gets near me but even when the kids get near me. She is slowly learning that is unacceptable behavior, but it is an uphill battle. I have heard this from other rescues, that they tend to take to one person more than others and become quite possessive of that person.

Even with all the problems I still have no regrets about adopting her and do not even give it a second thought. Besides, if you can handle a teenager you can handle anything a mere Basset can give you.

Tim

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I totally agree with Elvismom. Multiple hounds seem to do better than single ones. When I adopted Stomps, Lightning was 1 1/2 years old. They are both neutered boys. After about 6-8 months, I did have some aggression problems with Stomps. He would attack Lightning when overtired or overstimulated. But I made some relatively minor adjustments to our lives, and they've lived together peacefully and very happily for about 8 years now. I KNOW Lightning is much happier with a companion. Stomps might have preferred being an only dog, but he had a horrible early life and is very happy being co-ruler of his domain now. All I can say is, it can't hurt to give it a try.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Both of ours are from Basset Hound Rescue. We got Hub first. He was SO shy and timid. 1 yr. later we added Ohdee...so NOT shy and timid.

She's been great for him. They're great friends. They've never fought over anything.

They don't cuddle or sleep together...but on side-by-side pillows.

I say "go for it!".

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
The rescue Bassett is female and 1 year older than Molly. I thought that she would be a great companion for Molly as i do hear that Bassetts love to have another friend around. :mellow:

I would be very grateful for any advice in this matter good or bad... :unsure:

Mollys Mum[/b]

They always leave the bad news to me :rolleyes:

If you are one that believes in dog pack hierarchy, I do not, geting a dog older than the dog currently in the household could create tension and/or a struggle for status. Generally speaking status is age dependant. older = higher status, and logevity in the pack dependant, more pack time= higher status. There is a built in conflict with and older dog. It would be argued you would be better off bring in a younger dog and avoiding the potential conflict.

In general there is less dog v dog aggression in mixed sex pairs than in same sex pairs. That said most Dog v dog aggression stems from sex hormones, that is one or more of the pair is "intact". If both are spayed/nuetered their is only a minor difference betwwen same sex and mixed sex pair when it comes to dog v dog aggression.

As said earlier nuetral sight introductions, better multiple vists than just one and make no commitment until you see how it goes.

Dog to Dog Introductions

Adopting a Shelter dog

How to Select a Shelter Dog

1 - 6 of 6 Posts