Basset Hounds Forum banner

Red rash under armpits

12K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Maymoo2 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, I am new here. Hopefully, someone might have an answer to our question. We have a 1 year old basset name Winston. He has a big red rash under his armpits, we took him to see the vets several times and he had allergies shot - he is not getting better at all and now he is limping. The rash is so red that it is starting to bored him that is why he is limping, he is fine when I touched the rash area. I want to help him feel better. Does anyone here experience this with their bassets by chance? What did you do to make he/she feel better?
Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
1. do not assume the limping is related to the rash/inflammation Given the dog age and sex be sure to rule out panosteitis especial if it is a left front leg which is where it typical start about 45% of the time

2. You like have a dog suffering from atopy (contact and inhalant allergies) working trough this is best with a vet that specializes in dermatology

3. some thing that can help while awaiting an appointment, gold bond medicated powder or athlete foot powder provide and keep the dog from licking the area Both will help reduce moisture, act as a lubricant to reduce chaffing and reduce or prevent a yeast infection that increase itching and cause the dog to lick which just makes the sore larger..

Atopic Dermatitis - Mar Vista Animal Medical Center (marvistavet.com)

Yeast Infection of the Skin - Mar Vista Animal Medical Center (marvistavet.com)

#4 ·
It looks like the kind of yeast infection every one of my bassets has had. I didn't have much luck with the allergy shots, either (or the wipes or the sprays or the shampoos). But what did work wonders was Apoquel pills. You might inquire about that with your vet. They're not inexpensive, but Costco carries them, which helps. I feel so guilty that my other bassets had to live with this when all I might have needed was a vet that could prescribe Apoquel. Good luck.

#5 ·
OF our two high allergy dogs it works on one but not much to no effect on the other. FWIW they are Mother and Son works for mother reducing itching and scratching son has worse allergies but scratches and itches less at least currently.

Apoquel is fairly new to the market (2013) so don't beat yourself up it was likely not an option for the others,. The revolutionary new allergy medication for dogs, Apoquel, is finally available! | Animal Care Clinic.

“When a dog develops an itch related to an allergy, it can be life-disrupting for the dog and the entire family. After gaining five years of experience with APOQUEL through my involvement in clinical trials, I’ve learned firsthand the difference this treatment can make to a dog and its owners in stopping the itch, but without many of the side effects that are common with steroids,” said Thomas Lewis II, DVM, DACVD, practicing veterinary dermatologist at Dermatology for Animals in Gilbert, Ariz. He noted this has been the case even for those dogs that failed to respond to conventional therapies.

“Pet owners who complained that their dogs would wake them up in the middle of the night due to intense itch have told me that after treatment with APOQUEL, the household can sleep more peacefully,” Dr. Lewis said. “In my 28 years of practice, this is the most exciting new treatment for the management of itch associated with allergic and atopic dermatitis in dogs, which can often be a challenging and complex condition to treat.”
Apoquel treats a symptom, Itching, but does not treat the underlying problem,

#6 ·
We started dealing with this on our 4th girl. It is a continuing problem and while the shots help the scratch, the redness persists and often needs more attention with the hot weather. Things that have worked (and yes, her pits look just like your pic), clean it nightly with Cetaphil baby shampoo and dry, vitamin D ointment (doesn't hurt them to lick it), cornstarch on the areas, Triconizole (not sure of sp here) shampoo from vet- not all of them at once mind you. But they do work. We also started a low fat diet, gluten free. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.