Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My basset puppy (4 months old) has been under antibiotics since she was 9 weeks old due to a UTI.

The UTI was first detected at the age of 9 weeks and the Vet prescribed CLAVAMOX Drops 15ml: 0.9cc twice a day for 7 days, I gave her the medication as the Dr. said.

Three weeks later she was having symptoms again so I took her to the vet and the Urinalysis tested positive for Vaginitis and UTI so the Dr. precribed CEPHALEXIN 250mg 2 capsules every 12 hours for 2 weeks, the last day of the treatment Samantha had a follow up with the vet, they took an urine sample and they tested, the results were positive for UTI again but this time there is more bacteria present in her urine.
This was very frustrating for me because I gave my puppy her medication and I did everything the Dr. told me too and it worked for nothing.

The vet now wants me to give her CLAVAMOX 125mg tablets, one tablet every 12 hours for 14 days with a follow-up to determine if she needs to keep doing the medication after that (I told the vet that this one was the medication she took before and didn't work and she said that this time we are using a more concentrate dosis and that hopefully will work this time but she gave me no guarantee it will be)

Samantha has lost her apetite at the point I have to hand feed her, the vet told me that this is a side effect caused for using antibiotics, she vomits and had very soft stools; I feel bad because the antibiotics are not taking care of the condition plus it has been very hard for me to make her eat...Samantha doesn't look bad because I take good care of her but because she don't eat the way she should be she is not growing or gainning weight the way she should be (she is 4 month old and only weights 22 pounds, I've been told that a female Basset should be at least 28 pounds at the age of 4 months) I am giving her a vitamin named "Evervite" to make sure she is getting the nutriens she needs but I feel is not enough plus I am using Bene-Bac (probiotic) to prevent a yeast infection and to help her recover the good digestive bacteria that gets kill due to the frecuent use of antibiotics.

My major concern is that I don't want to do a 3rd round of antibiotics and find out it didn't work again plus her apetite will get worse...I've been doing some research on the net and I've found a product named "CRANBERRY RELIEF" by NaturVet which is a natural choice to prevent and treat Urinary Tract Infection, I am using this product instead of the CLAVAMOX and I really hope it works because I think the antibiotics are giving her more troubles than relief.

I wonder if anyone knows these product or if you have any experience getting rid of UTI using a more natural, holistic approach...and if you know anything that could help Samantha recover her apetite and to help her catch up (grow/weight)
Do you think she is too little for her age?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
An infection requires antibiotics. You can do comfort measures and things to boost immunity and wellbeing, but the infection itself requires antibiotics.

I've never had to deal with UTIs (knock on wood), but i know from reading about them here and hearing about them elsewhere that they can be pretty intractable. In addition, the vet needs to culture the urine so they can prescribe the right antibiotic. Hopefully, your vet has tested each time to make sure it isn't another bug?

Lots and lots of fresh water and lots and lots of opportunity to pee will do your puppy more good than the cranberry pills. If you're insistent about using cranberry (not as a substitute for antibiotics), I would use fresh juice --- unsweetened, not that Cran-whatever stuff they sell at the store because it's mostly grape and apple juice anyway --- get the stuff in the health food section.

But I would certainly investigate before doing it. Dogs can't have grapes, raisins and the like because it can lead to kidney failure, and it's possible the same is true for cranberries. I don't know.

If it were me, I'd check her into the vet for a day or so, even though she's young, so they can do a lot of tests and make sure what the infection is, etc. Loss of appetite could also signal other stuff, even though antibiotics can certainly cause it.

Just be careful. UTIs are very painful and can be serious and need good, consistent, steady care.

S

·
0 Posts
When my Pearly was little she had a lot of UTIs. She ended up having food allergies and we changed foods. She also had ear infections along with the UTI. You might ask about allergies. Good Luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
about the cranberry relief

Thank you for your concern; just wanted to point that the "Cranberry Relief" it is a Natural Aid for UT Health specially formulated for dogs and cats, it said that it uses a unique blend of natural herbs; it is a powder and the ingredients on the label are:

Cranberry Extract
Echinacea Purpurea
Ascorbic Acid
Non- fat dry milk
Fish digest
Natural flavoring

the directions said that you need to use 1 1/2 scoops twice a day for 3 weeks and then twice a week for two weeks

I've read about the effects of raisins and grapes on dogs and you are right on that, those really can make dogs go down hill

Anyway, I understand your point about the antibiotics and I hope you understand mine as well, I am just trying to find what is best for Sammy and to be honest with you so far the meds are not doing any good.

The vet in fact did the culture on the urine sample, it took like 30 minutes to get the results.

Right now I am trying to get an appoiment with a Vet that works with a Basset Hound Rescue Group here in Florida, I am hoping he could help me better since he knows the Breed more than a regular Vet.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
i really do understand. i'm a minimalist when it comes to drugs. i really don't like them but there are times you have to have them.

and i'd still go with the juice. :D

changing vets isn't such a bad idea, either, even if it's just to get new opinions on how to approach the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your feedbacks... :D

I got an appoiment on Thrsday with the Vet I've mention before, I hope to find some answers; I won't start the antibiotic until the new Dr. check on her first, just wanted to make sure CLAVAMOX is the right one to go for..

In the other hand does someone knows the standart size of a 4 month old basset, I've mention before that Sammy is 22 pounds and I don't know if she is falling behind.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
well, i'm not a vet, but 22 pounds at four months isn't so bad. bear in mind, she has a lot of growing to do. and not all bassets are big huge honker guys. Biscuit was downright plump at 45 pounds, and sleek and stylish at 40.

one thing you might try is backing off on the hand feeding. i know it will be hard, but you might be setrting her up as a picky eater. see what happens if you just put the food down for her and leave it.

i know that's hard and i know it will break your heart to have to do it (trust me: BTDT [been there done that]), but it might be the best thing in the long run for her. bassets are very good at playing us mere humans :) , and although i have no doubt her appetite is affected by the antibiotics, she might be playing you some, too. so i think i'd start just putting her food down and continue doing it for a few days, instead of hand feeding her.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I always give the dogs a little Dannon Plain Yogurt with their food when they're taking antibiotics- I think it helps to maintain a healthy environment in their intestines while they're on the drugs- you might want to see what your vet thinks about that-

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did they do a clean urine test? That's when they withdraw urine right from the bladder.
If she has vaginitis then the urine is probably picking up some of the bacteria on the way out. They need to do a culture and sensitivity test on the clean sample which involves sending it out usually for testing. That test will confirm which antibiotic would take care of the bacteria. She's young to be having these problems poor thing. Maybe your vet has done this test already but if not I would suggest it. She may have to stay on her antibiotic longer than the typical dog. What my vet has done for Shami who has had more UTI's than anyone I know is once the medication is done wait three days and then bring in another sample for testing. She may not be over it in 10-14 days and needs a bit longer.
Biscuit is right in saying that an infection needs an antibiotic. The cranberry stuff you are using may be a good preventative once the UTI is cleared up.
As far as her weight that's hard to guess. Bassets vary so much in bone structure. If her ribs are really sticking out then she probably is underweight though at 4 months many of them are a bit lanky. It's too bad the medication is making her sick. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Basset3

Dear Bassets3:

Thanks for your feedback; about the urine sample, it wasn't a clean one however the vaginitis was gone when they did the test on Friday.

I understand about the use of antibiotics and that is why I've decided to take Samantha to another Vet, I am feeling a little unsure with my curent Vet because even though she is a very nice one she doesn't have many answers to Samantha's condition.

The new Vet I will take her to knows Bassets Hounds a lot because he has been working with a Basset rescue group for a long time, that means he probably had seen a lot of Bassets with issues and hidden health conditions.

Sammy doesn't look thing, she looks fine, she has been taking good vitamins and minerals to replace the ones she don't get for the lack of apetite...to be honest with you her eating issue is bigger than you think, she is never hungry and that is driving me nuts, the vet said it is b/c of the meds but deep in my heart I think she has something else going on (another good reason to sheck in with a new vet)

I had dogs my whole life, I have never seen something like these, this puppy won't even take cooked ground beef or turkey, she eat a tiny bit and she walks away....I've try to starve her and that did not work (after 12 hours without food I gave her a 1/4 cup of ground turkey mixed with little white rice and she didn't even care about it, I felt so helpless I started to cry)

The hand feeding, oh the hand feeding I don't care to do it at all but sometimes it doesn't work I know is not good to do it but sometimes is my last source, I can't just leave her like that and do nothing...maybe if I do it the Vet will see what I see but do you think it really worth to let my baby go down hill in front of my eyes just to make a point?? let her lose weight and get weak?? I don't think so; I will do anything to see her eating like a hungry puppy like she was before the first round of Clavamox.

I really hope I could say she is just picky but I am sure this is something else; hopefully the new Vet will give me a hand

·
Registered
417 Posts
I understand your frustration with recurring UTI's!!!! Scully (who is 8 years old) has been dealing with this for months too! She's been on 3 different types of antibiotics so far......first on Clavamox for 14 days, then after another icky urinalysis, another round of Clavamox, this time for 3 weeks; then after another icky urinalysis and culture (E.coli present) she was on Chloramphenicol for 3 weeks. After this, the urinalysis came back absolutely fine, but the culture still grew E.Coli. Now she's been on Zeniquin for 2 weeks and they did the clean urine culture while she's on the medication to make sure it is actually working, and YAY YAY YAY......IT IS!! No more E.Coli.......so, they've given us another 3 weeks of this Zeniquin to make sure the infection is REALLY gone and stays the heck away!!!! I absolutely hate the fact that she's been on antibiotics for so long, but what can we do. :(

I hope your vets can get to the bottom of your puppy's infection and get rid of it!! I wish I had some useful advice for you, but I'll have Scully sling some healing drool for your baby!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Bassets3 is 100% correct about the clean urine specimen obtained by cystocentesis and the culture and sensitivity. Start with the appropriate specimen, get the appropriate testing, and then treat (if necessary) with the appropriate antibiotic(s). Without that, everything else is pointless.

If the problem proves to be a UTI that fails to clear following appropriate therapeutic course(s) of antibiotic(s), a young bitch should be evaluated for anatomic malformations predisposing to recurrent UTI's, among other risk factors.

Good luck.:)

·
Registered
773 Posts
I'm confused about one thing: are you giving your puppy antibiotics now, or just the cranberry? If you're not seeing the vet until Thursday, stopping the antibiotics at this point could be dangerous, even life-threatening.

Have you contacted the breeder to see if this is a problem he/she sees in their pups?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dear Aruuuu

Samantha was under CEPHALEXIN for 15 days (we completed the treatment) and she had a follow-up last friday, the dr. tested her and the UTI still there; The Vet prescribed CLAVAMOX, and told me to begin on monday (yesterday) I haven't started yet b/c I will take her to the new Vet the day after tomorrow.

I did not stop the antibiotic, Samantha completed one round of CLAVAMOX and then one round of CEPHALEXIN, I know how dangerous is to stop a medication, that is why I haven't start the CLAVAMOX I need to make sure these is the appropiate antibiotic for her condition.

I've contacted the breeder and there is no other puppy having an issue like Samantha...actually she is as clueless as I am...she said that Bassets are pigs and even when they are sick they eat...about the UTI she said sometimes puppies has it, we just need to find the right antibiotic

·
Registered
144 Posts
Jacques our old basset had a series of bladder infections and then a very serious kidney infection. We did clamavox and baytril and he recovered. We also did a preventative of cranberry extract twice a day for the rest of his life.

Its a good precaution.

Best of luck.

lala

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Ruby had UTI's a lot as a puppy and still has them here and there. In her situation, a lot of it was due to the wrong foods.

I also use malasab to wipe around the vulva area because she gets lots of yeast there. I have to lay on the floor on my back and look up at Ruby if you want to imagine that picture!

Once she licks that area and spreads the yeast around it's bad.

Clavamox is a very good antibiotic but if your dog gets sick from it, there's others that can be given instead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts