Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my new dog, Flash is a wonderful and I'm very blessed to have him. He's come to me with only one problem and I really have to get a handle on it because I have neighbors who complained this morning to Animal Control about him barking so much :eek: He doesn't bark out of boredom, he does it when he's in the yard playing with his buddies, Loretta and Bear (which they love to do a good part of the day). Can someone please share with me any ideas on how to change this habit before I get a ticket for being a nuisance?

My happy hound

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
I really don't have a solution, I have the same problem. My three bark and play all day, but thankfully they don't bark at night. I'm just glad I don't have neighbors like yours. I would have gotten a ticket a long time ago. All I can say, is that my neighbors can't complain. 2 have yapping dogs, 2 others have yapping kids, and the 97 year old lady next door can't hear.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
There are various kinds of bark-deterrant collars you might check into. They work great at stopping the barking, but if the dog is barking out of boredom, he just finds some other way to relieve the boredom. Since your dog is barking out of excitement, one of the less punishing collars (nonshocking) might at least help the problem.

In the meantime, you may need to keep your three inside except to relieve themselves. Or take them to a dog park where they can be as loud as they want.

I'm very lucky to have incredibly patient and kind neighbors, for which I give thanks every day.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My neighbors are all a nuisance in their own way. The one behind my house has a ton of relatives come from Mexico & spend the summers camping outside, the neighbor on one side of the house has loud parties and the one on the other side runs a construction business out of his house, so his gang of workers are showing up at the crack of dawn making racket. Still, one of them decided the barking isn't acceptable (I think I know which one). You're blessed to have nice neighbors!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the advise. I'm going to make a trip to Petco this evening to see if they have bark deterrent collars. Meanwhile, I've been keeping the dogs in the house as much as possible. They actually have bummed out looks on their faces :( I wouldn't mind if they wanted to romp, wrestle and carry on indoors but they only want to do that outside.

Speaking of the dogs wanting to romp, wrestle and carry on, I should mention that they also like to do this when I'm taking them for a walk on their leashes. By the time I get them home I'm worn out and my hands and arms hurt from keeping a hold on them. If I had time I'd take each one separately. They're all under 2 years of age. I hope with time they'll grow out of their desire to go bonkers quite so much.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My two youngsters als like to try and wrestle when on lead but they have to wait until I let them loose. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
511 Posts
...I wouldn't mind if they wanted to romp, wrestle and carry on indoors but they only want to do that outside.
........... They're all under 2 years of age. I hope with time they'll grow out of their desire to go bonkers quite so much.[/b]
Well my three are 1yr, 5yr, & 4.5yr, and they romp & wrestle inside also. With a combined weight of 180 lbs, they do too much distruction in the house. :lol: :lol:

You'll have to search my other postings to view my videos of all the romping & wrestling.

Here's a recent picture of them playing inside:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your dogs are adorable! I noticed one had an others ear in his mouth. Mine do that a lot when they play. Isn't it amazing how they can chomp on each others long floppy ears without doing any harm?
I'm going to look up your videos. There's nothing cuter than Bassets playing together.

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
That is not the case the resitivism rate for traditional shock collars and citronella spray collars is huge. Greater than 95% which speaks to there overall general ineffectivness at teaching a new more appropriate behavior. and only surpress a behavior which only occurs when the collar is worn. To be effective the collar must be coupled with a behavior modification program see Citronella Collars

keep in mind some inherent design flaws of many antibark collars.

1. they have no indicator when the batter need to be changed

2. they respond to sound only so anther dog bark can set it off

3. they respond to the first bark when total supression of barking is not desired but the control of manic barking is.

Barking is one of the most difficult problems to eliminate in a dog with the tendency. other thing that can help

1. manage the dogs. that is in your case don't let all three dogs out together when the sensitive neighbor is home.

2. behavior modification see. Retraining Manic Alert Barking

3. Let the nieghbor know of your efforts, they general more sympathetic if they think your are seriously trying to improve the situation.

4. as a last resort surgery is an option as well. Debarking (Bark Softening) - Myths and Facts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Mikey, I'm totally new to Basset ownership. I need all the good advise I can get in order to iron out the kinks with my newly rescued hounds and get on the right track together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts