Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in communication with a reputable Basset breeder. I currently have a three year old neutered male Basset that i got 2 months ago. He is finally feeling more at home and turning into a wonderful dog. He gets along well with people and other dogs. The male puppy I am considering would be 10 weeks old when i go to see him in 2 weeks. The breeder says the mother dog it pretty much finished with the first 8 weeks of raising her puppies. The puppies are well socialized and have been around lots of people. If i choose to get a male puppy (as a pet only), is 10 weeks a good time? I know some breeders prefer to wait until they are 12 weeks. Can you advise me? Is a 10 week old puppy ready to go home? Advantages disadvantages 10 vs 12 weeks? Thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
I think 10 weeks is fine, that's the age I let mine go at nowadays. A lot depends on the ability to socialize the puppy. Many breeders like to keep the pup longer so they can do the socializing, or because they want to evaluate the pups longer, but if there's a lot of pups or the breeder works then socializing the whole bunch adequately may be difficult, in which case if the new owner can do the job then its better for the pup to go where it can get more individual attention. Proper socialization before 16 weeks of age is crucial in developing a mentally healthy dog.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
We usually let our puppies go home at 10 weeks and very occasionally, at 8 weeks provided I knew the people and that they were 'experienced'. And it did to some extent depend on the size of the litter because if it was big, quite often a puppy would do better out in a more one-on-one situation, but again that depended on whether I felt the people were ready to take over a puppy of under the 10 week norm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts