Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've recently let the dogs get back on our couch since they no longer appear to have territory issues with it but poor Anabelle has a terrible time trying to get up there with her short little back legs. She can jump up with her front end easily but struggles a lot to get all the way up.

The steps available at the big pet stores seem to be made for small breeds and appear to be flimsy, less than a foot wide, and with 3 steps, which would be excessive.

Do any of you have a recommendation for a good small step for a basset hound? Have you made one yourself?

·
Registered
34 Posts
We're actually thinking about having my Grandfather make a set for the couch and a set the bed. We're even debating about having him build more of a "ramp" to run along side the bed to make it even easier on her joints. Out of wood of course.
Currently my fiance and Squish sleep on the couch together at night, but it's about time we moved her (them) to the bed.:)
My Granfather tells me it should be fairly easy as long as he has the right dimensions and measurements.
Other than the time factor, it can't be that expensive either.

Note - we went bedroom set shopping several weeks ago and saw that a few sets had stairs that came with or as a option to buy. Those were made of wood and seemed pretty solid. Maybe that's an option? Granted they were between $100 - $200, so it's not a cheap alternative.

It sounds like all she needs is a little boost :D

·
Registered
878 Posts
Having always been told to keep our Bassets off stairs and not to let them jump off anything that's higher than they are as it could injure their joints or their backs, we keep ours off the sofa and have a stair gate on our stairs. We also have a folding ramp a bit like in the picture, for our hatchback Golf, as they can't jump in or out and we don't want them hurting their backs and they are too heavy to lift safely.

Maybe someone could make something like this in a shorter version that folds up or slides together as ours does!

Edit: The one below is not ours, I got the pic from ebay but ours is similar and it might give people an idea!

·
Registered
125 Posts
That is very clever SophieB! Very clever and most practical.
I don't allow Opus up on the sofa, but he goes up and down the stairs all day as it is the only section of the house that has carpet and he LOVES to lie on the landing and scratch his chin against the wool:rolleyes:. It's his favourite place to be when we're out too as it faces the front door.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's quite humorous but also quite sad to watch her try to get up. Sometimes when she's excited she'll take a running start and jump but still doesn't get her back feet up. Thankfully the couch is soft so she doesn't hurt herself in the process.

Normally she jumps up with her front feet easily and then tries to get a grip with one of her back feet for a good 5 minutes or so, finally succeeds and gets the other foot up. I think all she needs is one step.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Annabelle was on my facebook page today! I am a "friend" of "Upside Down Dogs". I knew who she was the moment I saw her! What a cutie!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I got a two-step stool for Lightning and Stomps to use from (I think) Drs. Foster and Smith. It's very sturdy and covered in carpeting. It works great. However, if I could have, I would have made the steps deeper to accommodate their long backs and short legs. But I still highly recommend it. I also have a ramp like the one pictured above to get the dogs in and out of the car. Stomps would use it, but Lightning won't go near it (anyone want to buy a barely used telescoping ramp?).

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
If you know someone handy, ask them to make them. My brother made me a set for Sadie & Spencer. He made them with a removable piece so I could use them flat against the side of the bed or on the corner. He also made a single step for the porch chair, couch & futon. Spoiled babies. :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Annabelle was on my facebook page today! I am a "friend" of "Upside Down Dogs". I knew who she was the moment I saw her! What a cutie!
Haha I'm glad you saw that. I submitted that picture months ago when I saw a discussion somewhere else about that site, was surprised to see it show up a few days ago :cool:

·
Registered
181 Posts
My problem is stopping them climbing:confused:

Patience has a new game that consists of jumping on the garden table,dancing around on it then leaping off:eek:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a two-step stool for Lightning and Stomps to use from (I think) Drs. Foster and Smith. It's very sturdy and covered in carpeting. It works great. However, if I could have, I would have made the steps deeper to accommodate their long backs and short legs. But I still highly recommend it. I also have a ramp like the one pictured above to get the dogs in and out of the car. Stomps would use it, but Lightning won't go near it (anyone want to buy a barely used telescoping ramp?).
Is this like the one you have? It's from Foster and Smith

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
No, mine aren't so mod as those pictured, and the steps are much deeper. Here's a picture (I hope):

This is my beloved Stomps (ATB 2009) making full use of the steps.

·
Registered
878 Posts
My problem is stopping them climbing:confused:

Patience has a new game that consists of jumping on the garden table,dancing around on it then leaping off:eek:

I would be careful if I were you as she might injure her legs or her back!

How does she climb up there as it looks pretty high?!

·
Registered
878 Posts
If you know someone handy, ask them to make them. My brother made me a set for Sadie & Spencer. He made them with a removable piece so I could use them flat against the side of the bed or on the corner. He also made a single step for the porch chair, couch & futon. Spoiled babies. :)

Awww they look sooo cute with their own carpeted stairs!!! :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you can see your dog is struggling, I'd most definately suggest a ramp otherwise make a bed next to or at end of your bed. 8-10 they do start struggling with stairs and jumping off and on of couches. You don't know the damage they are doing themselves - dont take the risk - get onto the ramp or create a special bed/resting/snoozing place at bottom of sofa or your bed so they can still feel and be close to you but are not likely to injury themselves or aggravate an injury which could be worse than you realise. Their body langauge is telling you something. They may still want to jump up out of habit but their senior bodies are simply not designed to do those things without causing discomfort pain and possible injury. I am sure they will adust to being happy provided they still get to be close to you.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think she just REALLY likes the couch. She has a nice comfy bed by our bed but sometimes she'll sleep the night in the living room on the couch. I would bet, though, that if I put the bed by the couch she'd still get up on the couch. And you're right, really it's not the getting up that concerns me as much as her jumping down. A lot of it certainly is her wanting to be close as she often will get up and move next to you when you sit on the couch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts