Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have a senior girl, 10 y/o, who has developed arthritis in her back legs. I have tested a few harnesses on her but had no luck so far (didn't fit right). I may order the one below. Does anyone have suggestions for a rear harness that supports while walking?

Rear Support Harness for Dog - Walkabout - X-Small

Thanks in advance for your help :)

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
that looks/sounds like a good one.....like that they have a basset model. We had to use a sling type one after surgery. I like the looks of this one better.

looks like your doggie is a real sweetie!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 3kbasset :) I love her and the breed in general. I'm curious to see if anyone else has had experience with these harnesses. I'm hopeful since the "model" was a basset!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
No I have never seen it before but wanted to say welcome to the forum. Your girl looks very cute. It doesn't look like it would be very good for a female to go pee with but looks like it would help to get them up.

Maddies back legs go everywhere. I wouldn't say she has arthritis but am told by the vet it's a pinched nerve. She doesn't have much feeling in them but it doesn't seem to slow her down much. Does your girl have allot of trouble getting up on her own?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Herzo, thank you for the welcome. Sally does struggle getting up on her own, especially on hard wood or snow/ice outside. The more active she is, the less the arthritis acts up (similar to people). This would be quite helpful for her outside, especially this time of year. I think I'll call the company and see if they would be willing to take it back if it does work. It's worth a shot!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dog basset shepherd just had disc surgery in the middle lower back.he can’t move his back legs yet He is 60 pounds and not easy to carry outside Any recommendations for a back harness I adore bassets. My dog is so much basset Thank you.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
with dwarf size dogs beach towels which are bigger general work better than bath towels that way less need to stoop

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi there, I have a senior girl, 10 y/o, who has developed arthritis in her back legs. I have tested a few harnesses on her but had no luck so far (didn't fit right). I may order the one below. Does anyone have suggestions for a rear harness that supports while walking?

We have used towels and then came upon using boys't-shirts. Neck hole for peeing, sleeves for the legs, soft and stretchy. These things are great for all kinds of basset ailments--yeasty armpits, itchy areas. Really! Boys' white usually size 8-10 for our 60lb girl. Try it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you

For mobility issues K9 carts they carry everything from butt leashes, to wheels and even things you would not have thought of.
My Gatsby (not a bassett he was cocker spaniel) had Degenerative spine disorder, surgery at 6 yrs.. we started with a butt leash then wheels. He sadly passed away at age 17.5 . Google handicap dogs to get your answers. Someone I am sure has had issues with a basset.

·
Registered
115 Posts

I second the towel, especially when they need to go out NOW and putting the harness on takes time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts