Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 14 week old Basset Hound, Daisy May, she has what appears to be a rear leg problem. After taking her nap or after her night in her bed, when she first gets up she has a problem standing on her rear legs. After she takes one or two steps it seems to go away and she is able to run and play with no problems. She has no pain. We had a vet check her and he could not find anything wrong. No X-rays were taken. We still are concerned. Her first twelve weeks was in a cage. We thought this migh be her problem. She has not had time to build-up any strength in here rear legs. Would appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response.
She seems to be improving. We will be watching her real close. She seems to have no pain. When she first gets up after having her nap, she sometimes drags her two hind legs for about 3-4 inches then she starts walking and running with no further problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rear leg proble

We went to a second Vet for their opinon. Their opinion was different then the first Vet. They could see that the puppy favored one rear leg, but could not find anything wrong with the leg. They refered us to an Orthopaedic Surgeon in Vermont. We have an appointment Monday morning (5/15/2006) at 09:45 AM. I have seen other postings discussing how their puppy wobbles. We will know if the bone structure is OK after our Monday appointment.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i rescued sadie at 16 weeks and she was bounced around from a pet store to an owner that didnt want her back to a rescue. she also spent time in a cage and never allowed to run. according to the rescue she didhave a back leg problem thats why she was returned to the pet store.
i dont see a problem now even when she runs etc. the vet did say that she had luxatfy partella meaning her back leg can pop out because the curves are not deep enough. vet said that she may run funny and then correct herself....that has not happened she runs just fine.....
hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts