Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cannoli ate an entire container of rat poison last night! She slipped in to the garage when I went out to get something, amazing that a dog that size can slip past you without you noticing. She got shut in there and when we realized where she was she had managed to get in behind boxes and find a thing of rat poison.

We called the vet right away, he said to induce vomiting and that her being a big gal worked in her favor that she should be ok. I was at the vet when they turned their sign on this morning, they looked her over and gave her a shot of vitamin K along with a 10 day prescription of vitamin K tablets. She shows no sign of internal bleeding and they think she will be just fine. I am still anxious and will be checking her ears and gums carefully for the next week.

The vet said "That's a basset for you, they'll eat anything, edible or not."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Just like toddlers, they are fast and get into everything. I am forever pulling things out of Molly's mouth when we are on walks. Molly and I are thinking good thoughts for your little girl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
How scary! Watch her closely! My father's heeler died from rat poisoning- He didn't know she had gotten into it till it was too late :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Oh no! \When I saw the title of the thread my heart just sand. I'm so glad she is doing okay. Good luck, we'll keep Cannoli and her family will be in our thoughts!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will post updates, so far she is acting like nothing happened. She didn't like the Vitamin K shot but otherwise she is as crazy as ever. Takes more than rat poison to stop a basset apparently!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
Oh no! \When I saw the title of the thread my heart just sand. I'm so glad she is doing okay. Good luck, we'll keep Cannoli and her family will be in our thoughts!
Same here... I almost was not going to read it!

Poor thing... I hope all will be well as it sounds awful for him... and you too!!! Good job you realised what he'd done! :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Happy to report

Cannoli is doing great, no signs of any bleeding for several days so she is out of the woods. She loves the chewable vitamin K tablets she has to take, somehow I feel like I've been scammed - she eats rat poison and gets treats LOL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
WHEW!! That is fabulous news. When I read the title of the post - my heart sank into my stomach. That is a horrible way to suffer. Glad to hear she's ok.

I'm also glad to know that if caught in time, there is treatment available. We occasionally get a stray mouse or two in the basement. We live close to a small creek and they seem to come up from the woods in spring and fall and head for the basement. Before we got Squishy we had bags and bags of that poison all over the basement and garage. Before we got her, we took a few days to pick all of it up and threw it away, but my fear is we missed one. So Squishy doesn't go in the basement.....as far as I'm concerned, she doesn't even KNOW there's a basement.

Vitamins as treats.... Good to know her appetite wasn't affected at all in this...although I'm thinking it would take an act of God to affect THAT! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is what I learned for anyone who might face this event, though I hope you never do!

If caught right away, as in our case, you should induce vomiting. If they've had a chance for it to start breaking down in their stomach you'll need to administer activated charcoal to absorb as much poison as possible. Peroxide is an easy way to induce vomiting, we used peroxide and a turkey baster. My tip would be to do this in an area you can easily clean up, we realized belatedly that we had piles of rat poison filled throw up that we had to police knowing how dogs will revisit the scene so to speak.

Rat poison blocks the bodies absorption of vitamin K and leads to internal bleeding, so the therapy is vitamin K which you have to have a prescription for. It cost us $30 for a 10 day supply, well worth it. Our vet also gave Cannoli a vitamin K shot to get things started.

We had to watch her for signs of internal bleeding, the vet said sometimes it takes several days for that to show up. Best way to check is looking at the gums, inside of the ears and on the belly where there is no hair, look for bright red spots or bruise like areas.

Hope this is helpful!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,862 Posts
My heart dropped when I saw the thread title. I'm glad your baby is going to be fine.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top