Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to post here and in health. Nugget ate some rat poison (Long story how she got it)..approx 1oz. I realized it probably within 15 min...def. not longer than 30 min. On way to vet and she called back and said go home and give hydrogen peroxide and induce vomiting and that's pretty much it. We did. She vomited several times. Had loose stool once that looked like it may have had some in it, not sure. I'm extremely worried...anybody else had similar experience?!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Going to post here and in health. Nugget ate some rat poison (Long story how she got it)..approx 1oz. I realized it probably within 15 min...def. not longer than 30 min. On way to vet and she called back and said go home and give hydrogen peroxide and induce vomiting and that's pretty much it. We did. She vomited several times. Had loose stool once that looked like it may have had some in it, not sure. I'm extremely worried...anybody else had similar experience?!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called the vet back to ask about Vit K being given and she said given the small amount that she ate and her size (46lbs) that it wasn't necessary and that Nug would be just fine. I hope so. I am a worried mom and need reassurance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called the vet back to ask about Vit K being given and she said given the small amount that she ate and her size (46lbs) that it wasn't necessary and that Nug would be just fine. I hope so. I am a worried mom and need reassurance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I was! Still feel anxious about it but after talking to the vet the last time. I feel some better. Nugget took a nap...I'm sure she was worn out after all the throwing up! She got up and ate a little kibble and drank a little water and went out for a bit. Seems like her normal self. As far as I can tell, the main concern is the possibility of bleeding later on so I guess I'll just have to watch for bleeding,bruising,pale gums,etc.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That is super scary...I hope everything is going okay now...keep us posted!

~Heather

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm glad you caught it so quick and that it was a relatively small amount.

Years ago our neighbor's house was vacant for several years. The realtor put DeCon in the barn. OUr border collie, who used to be able to run free, got into it. We didn't realize it for several days and he almost died. He was at the vet's for about a week and each morning I was petrified to call for fear he didn't make it through the night. He survived, but we no longer let him out to romp.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I was at a friend's house when one of her dogs accidently got into the basement where she found and ate rodent poison. Called the ER vet, who said, induce vomiting with hydrogen pereoxide, have her vomit on newspaper and bring that in, also bring in packaging of bait that was eaten-so they can determine the exact chemicals ingested. At the ER we( I got stuck helping) gave her activiated charcoal-that stuff is messy. She was given a Vitamin K injections, I think, and tablets to take home. Because the chemicals they use now a days stay in the body longer than the old warfarin, the owners had to follow up with blood work and of course watch for any signs of bleeding. Everything turned out fine. Scary!

Sorry you had to go through this frightening experience with Nugget. It doesn't sound like your vet is overly concerned but that doesn't mean you're not going to worry.

I assume you've gotten rid of the rat poison.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts