Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucy has a red rash that is starting under her two front "arm pits". She does not seem to be bothered but it is red and the hair in that area seems to be gone. Is it just a case of chafe that some gold bond powder will cure? Thanks

T

·
0 Posts
I'd go with the gold bond powder first. Twinkie has very little hair under her "arms" there and I found that a couple weeks ago when we were on vacation and I had her in her harness almost constantly, she was getting a little irritated under there. I'd try that first before calling the vet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ours have had the same problem. We've used A&D ointment on occasion as well. It works on baby rashes and seems to work on the fur babies too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
my vet told me that clyde could have allergies to the grass. it seems to get worse in the summer time. they gave me a spray to put on him. it seems to work pretty good the rash is not as red. the name of the spray is gentamicin topical spray. i hope this will be helpful to you

·
Registered
108 Posts
Maizy has a recurrent rash as well. We tried the gold bond, which works if it isn't too bad. Bag Balm works the best, though. If you wash it first, try drying with the cool setting of the hair dryer before applying the stuff. It helps.

A

·
0 Posts
Just had Bubba at the vet on June 30th with the same problem. He does this every year when it gets hot, and Gold Bond Powder always took care of it, without vet visits. But this year it looked a little different and started going down the insides of his front legs as well, and he was licking on the inside of his front paw as well. The vet took a swab, and he was starting a yeast infection. She put him on Acidophilus, which you can get at a pharmacy or health food store, which helps with yeast infections, same stuff is in live culture yogurt, in capsule form. Also gave us prescription wipes "Aalaseb Pledget Wipes" that we blot the areas with twice a day. He is already so much better.
Just watch and be sure you aren't developing a yeast infection.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I just posted something last night about what to use for this. It is listerine and babyoil. Mix it equal parts. the listerine kills the fungus/yeast infection and the babyoil helps the listerine adhere to the skin and also sooths the skin while it works. I recently did this with a foster hound and it worked great over night. It might burn a little especially the first time but it kills what ails them arm pitts well. It isnt harmful and is pocket book friendly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just posted something last night about what to use for this. It is listerine and babyoil. Mix it equal parts. the listerine kills the fungus/yeast infection and the babyoil helps the listerine adhere to the skin and also sooths the skin while it works. I recently did this with a foster hound and it worked great over night. It might burn a little especially the first time but it kills what ails them arm pitts well. It isnt harmful and is pocket book friendly.
Thank you so much for the Listerine advice. I mix equal parts of coconut oil and Listerine (the blue one) and apply it once a day to Fred. His rash has cleared up and his constant scratching is over.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
How easily does the coconut oil mix with the Listerine? Do you have to warm it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I put the coconut oil in the microwave for about 15 seconds then pour in the Listerine and mix it with a fork it mixes fairly easy. I put the leftover oil mixture in a glass jar and keep it someplace warm so it doesn’t solidify.

I even used the mixture on my husband's athlete's foot and it cleared up within a few days.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We just had this with Butters this summer too. It only seems to do it when it's hot. Our vet thought it was most likely from his arms rubbing against his chest all the time, and then he tries to scratch it on top of it. We used a hydracotisone cream and it cleared up by the next day. He hasn't had any issues since. (And he stopped trying to scratch!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts