Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my puppy is almost 12 weeks old and ever since she was 7 weeks old she has been getting this brown rash on her belly, at first I thought maybe she as sitting in her feces, so I washed it everyday. It would keep coming back. Well she doesn't go to the bathroom in her cage anymore, and when she goes out side she doesn't lay in it. So I am wondering if any of you have ever exprienced this, I didn't think it was that big of a deal at first until I thought that maybe it is some type of yeast infection, It is in the part of her belly right between her legs and it has a fold. So if any of you have exprienced could you let me know, I don't think it is anything serious I just want to know how to get it to go away and prevent it from coming back. Ok thank you

Steph

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vet said it may just be dried urine, but I don't know how she would get it up there. I have an appointment on the 10th of July, so hopefully she can really diagnose it then, I am just gonna continue cleaning it and just keep and eye on it. She doesn't act like it bothers her she does try to bite at it or lick it so maybe this is just something she will always have. But have any of you exprienced this?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
We've had a simiar rash but was yeast and were given a special spray. Being a nurse practitioner I can tell that diagnosing a rash is a real iffy thing though, until it's been looked at- You could use a mild moisturizer like Aveeno until you are able to get into the vet to see if that helps. I would avoid any antibiotic creams though as they can change the appearnace of a rash and prevent a good diagnosis.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Both Elvis and Roscoe had the rash on their bellies when they were young. The vet said it was a common reaction by puppies to staph bacteria and that they would grow out of it, which they did.

D

·
0 Posts
Daisy has this same rash, I am concerned, it seems to have gotten worse. I took her to the vet and he said it is urine scald, whenshe pees outside it splashes back up and irritates her and she doesn't clean herself. He gave her a cortizone shot and that healed it right up, but now it's back again. I clean her after she goes out with bay wipes, I thought I was all done with the baby wipes :lol: It is not helping, any suggestions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rash has gotten alot worse, so I am going to the vet again I think it is something different, the brown rash went away, but now she has these bumps on her belly that our trainer who has bassets said she thinks its poison ivy, I didn't know dogs could get that, it is on her legs and under her front legs in her armpit area, I feel so bad for her. So she goes on monday hopefully it is nothing big, but it looks bad.

D

·
0 Posts
Yes, Daisy's started as a brown colored rash and at is worst point a few days ago it was all over her underside and in her armpit area. It was really bad in the lower area with dark red bumps, The vet said it was just urine scald but how does urine get in their armpits and all over their bellies. I think it's something different. The cortizone 10 cream seems to ease it, so you might want to try that until you get the little one back to the vet.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Cortisone may help with itching or inflammation but if the source of the rash is still present, the cortisone isn't going to cure the problem. If there's an infection, steroids without an appropriate antibiotic can actually make it worse. Using various OTC products could actually interfere with your veterinarian's ability to diagnose the problem.

D

·
0 Posts
I am confused. My vet gave her a shot of cortizone and advised me to use the cream for a couple of days to help clear it up. He was not concerned at all about it being an infection, but since it is recurrent naybe I should take her to another vet for a second opinion.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
first about urine causing irritation: it sure can. when Lady had her bout with vestibular disorder a couple of months ago, she was unable to get up --- and she already has some incontinence going on. i was advised to keep her meticulously clean down there :shock: :oops: so that she wouldn't end up with sores and irritation.

i think urine can be a factor in bedsores in humans --- that might give you some idea of how very irritating it can be.

and if you think of puppies peeing (esp., puppies), it can splash everywhere, so it's not surprising it would end up in the armpit. :shock: :lol:

so yea, pee can do it.

also, mylilturbo, i think i'd use just water and a *very* mild soap instead of those baby wipes, if the wipes have any alcohol in them. i think i'd worry the alcohol and other additives would irritate her even more. i just used water and ... um ... shampoo (Neutrogena, no less) with Lady, and we made it through three weeks of her unable to pee normally w/ no irritation whatsoever. and she smelled good, too!

you probably wouldn't even have to use soap, though --- i did with Lady because she's a German Shepherd and absurdly hairy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts