Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While typing my response to Crate training, I happened to remember something that happened to one of my Dad's friends when I was growing up. The man had a little puppy and he had free roam of the house. Well, someone in the family had been eating potato chips and left the bag on the floor. The pup put his head in to the bag to get the rest of the chips and his head got stuck and he suffocated. They came home and found him dead. :eek:

I always thought of this story when I was feeling guilty about putting my pups in their crate when we had to go out. There are so many weird things that can happen that you never even think of. Of course, we went out last night and came home to Elmer running through the living room with an English muffin package in his mouth. Apparently "Captain Chaos" stood up on his long legs and counter surfed and drug them down and they had a little party together. I believe a good bit of plastic wrapper was also ingested. So I'm keeping my eyes out today for tummy troubles. :unsure: :rolleyes: :blink:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How awful! My first thought tho was why was there a potato chip bag on the floor? As for dogs that counter surf, well, you can train yourself to push items away from the edge of the counter and train the dog also not to do that. Trained dogs are happy dogs!

Janice[/b]

I guess no one thought anything of it-and that's why I think crates are good when you are not at home--because everyone can't think of or remember everything at all times, unfortunately. I once pulled a rawhide bone that had unwound about 6 inches out of Elmer's throat when he was a puppy. He was choking on it and I was in the next room! I didn't give those anymore after that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts