Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend Joan's 8 year old Pug Sparky somehow got ahold of a box of raisins last Thursday and ate most of the box- the vet has been trying to save him, but yesterday Sparky took a turn for the worst and was put down due to Kidney failure. Joan is devastated and blaming herself. Just a reminder to be carefull with what your dogs can reach.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
What happens if a dog eats raisins? I have given Charlotte one or two from my ceral before, I had no idea they were dangerous.



OMG im a jerk! I just scanned through the post without reading the entire thing,I was just so concerned because Roo eats Raisin Brain and grapes with me often. I am sooo sorry they lost their poor baby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
973 Posts
I hope Sparky pulls through and everything works out!
What happens if a dog eats raisins? I have given Charlotte one or two from my ceral before, I had no idea they were dangerous.
Raisins and grapes have the same effect: kidney failure. I don't think anyone knows why or how. Usually it takes a lot to have any effect but every dog is different.

RIP Sparky :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,780 Posts
Hi Lottes Mama,

I posted this before and this might have some info if you want to look more into it...

Re: grapes (and raisins!):
I didn't know anything about grapes either. I grew up (awhile ago) feeding my old dog lots and lots of grapes without problems. There wasn't a warning about them back then. The warning has just come up in the past dozen years. They don't know how grapes result in kidney failure in dogs, exactly, or what's in/on them that causes it (ie. fungus? pesticide? bacteria? etc...)

I did look into it a bit, and found that although in many cases, a large quantity was ingested, in some cases, it was just a few (like 6 or 7 grapes, if memory serves). Also that in some dogs, they had eaten grapes before without problems, but that just that one incident, had an adverse reaction.

Overall, kidney failure from grapes is rare, and death is even more rare. but does happen, in the case of the poor puggie...
But I did decide before I wouldn't be feeding Worm grapes anytime soon...

Anyways, here's more info in case you're interested:

Grape and raisin toxicity in dogs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the reminder on this-- important to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,132 Posts
That is the thing there is no consistency of doseage to put a toxcity level on it like chocolate and most posions,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
Poor Sparky! RIP... :( I suppose with a Pug having a small body, it won't take too much of a toxic substance to do any damage. I'm always very careful to keep dried fruit, grapes and onions well out of my dogs' way... but a couple of weeks ago they did steal a big plastic tub of cooked braised steak that had tinned tomatoes and a small sliced onion in it but they don't appear to have been harmed by it. I must keep food well away from them!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
972 Posts
i am constantly having these scares. Bowser is the worst dog i've ever had for finding and getting into things (i blame the nose). This last one was a bottle of adult chewable multi-vitamins...like the heavy duty high potency kind. Luckily it had only everything in the rainbow but iorn, so he just got sick to his stomach and felt bad for 24 hours instead of the rush to the vet for the iron overdose. This dog makes my hair fall out.

I'm sorry for your friend. I can't stand the guilt and fear when he does this to me, so i can't even imagine the sorrow and horror of actually having to put your dog down and blaming yourself. She has my sympathy and really, it's not all her fault...if they want something they try their hardest to get it at it. They're just being animals.
(This only marginally helps to remember) but i feel bad she feels bad : (
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
973 Posts
I am with you jaleely. I left the dogs out for about 2 hours while I was gone the other day and Anabelle ate a chocolate bar and was throwing up for hours (though it wasn't enough to warrant a vet visit, it was a heck of a mess...) I didn't even know we had any chocolate, just saw the empty wrapper.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top