Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simone is a rabbit hunting failure. She rarely notices a rabbit unless I point it out. She doesn't bay when she does see one. She actually ran into a rabbit sitting on a sidewalk last year. Granted something was wrong with it's hind legs but Simone just kept nudging it to try to get it to move and looked at me like "what do I do now Mom?". To add insult to injury, I just found a nest of newborn bunnies in our yard!! I think this mommy rabbit is a bully, making fun of Simone. I wouldn't blame you all if you kicked us out of the group:(.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Lol, Mouse was like that. One time I came out of the house with three hounds and there was a rabbit on the lawn. Kermit and Lucy opened and took off after it, I took off after them, Mouse just hung around the front yard and waited for us to come back.

·
Registered
154 Posts
One with the World:

Sounds to me like Simone is one with the world.

John Lennon would of been proud of her (can't we all just get along).

Bet you won't be replacing any screens in the screen door with her.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Simone is a lover not a fighter... like me! I can't even think about going potty if the neighbor cat is outside. I told her... "hey I treed a squirrel once!" But Mom says I was at the bottom of the wrong tree. Hmmmph... group nap anyone?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
Walk our eldest though a local field that has a large number of rabbits, Lucas takes no notice of them & they've got so used to him they don't bother to run away. He came upon one sitting in his way & it still took no notice till he went up to have a sniff, the rabbit kicked him in the face before bounding away & still he took no notice just looked at me bewildered before walking on his way!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. I feel better. I thought Simone was the only one without the hunting instinct. The baby rabbits are so cute, I'm kind of relieved that Simone has no interest in them. Now, if we can keep the coyote away from the bunnies.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm not sure what Moses thinks he is doing with our yard rabbits. There is a rabbit sitting in the fenced area of the yard (the dogs' yard) and I let him out- he runs straight out the door, straight past the rabbit!
But when he is hanging out in the yard and sees a rabbit on the OTHER side of the fence, he goes tearing up to the fence, sticking his face between the slats & barking at it. Such a goofball.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Orion I think you just described typical basset behavior! There must be some secret logic that is too complicated for us mere humans to comprehend... At least they act like there is one! ;)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Jake & Ellie's "hunting" instincts seem to be confined to goodies from the kitchen (bacon, eggs, melon, bologna). We have lots of wildlife in the yard (bunnies, squirrels, chipmonks, deer...) No clue what to do with them. Hubby killed a deer this fall and "showed" them the fruits of his hunting... they were afraid of a dead deer...So much for my "killer" hounds!

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
Bassets tend to be slower developing in this area the other scent hounds One of our best hounds did not start till she was three.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts