Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moe had surgery yesterday to remove two cysts, a small marble-sized one on his hind leg and a large golfball-sized one towards the back of his neck near his left shoulder. I was totally unprepared for the size of the incisions. :( The one on his leg is not so very big, only about three inches or so (and nasty-looking enough), but the one on his neck is VERY long - seven to eight inches. :( :( He's still pretty out of it. He slept all last night and most of today, which is understandable given what he's been through. (He's not eating yet either, also understandable. Thankfully, he is drinking and relieving himself.) When he's awake he licks constantly at his back leg. He's trying to get at the stitches, which I've bandaged to protect them. (The vet said to discourage him from licking them- but he didn't say HOW? He obviously doesn't know my Moe.) I know it's best to keep the wound uncovered but I think after the healing has begun he'll leave it alone and we can leave the bandage off then. The problem is I'm having trouble keeping a bandage on at all. The wound is near the crook of his leg so the bandage wants to slide downward (encouraged by obsessive licking and pulling). So far (only thirty hours after his surgery) the wound looks okay. I DO NOT want it to get infected or irritated by constant licking. :(

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Hi, Terry, you could ask your vet for an Elizabethan collar (one of those cones), which will prevent Moe from picking at his sutures. Hope Moe feels better soon. Buffet had about a dozen cysts removed a couple of years ago and looked like FrankenBasset for a while. :eek:

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
with stitches on the neck The cone probably will only cause problems. Something like a cervical collar which is softer but prevents the neck from turning would work. The alternative of cover the leg is also fine. It has been my experience that as the would heals the dog is more likely to work on the stiches not less :roll:

·
Registered
773 Posts
I agree that the e-collar might be a problem because of the neck incision. There is something called a 'No-Bite' collar that is a little different from the e-collar, could be what Mike is referring to. In the meantime, could you put a tee-shirt on his hind end - back legs through the arm holes?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Sorry, missed the bit about a neck incision!

·
Registered
797 Posts
You could try rubbing something foul tasting and smelling into the fur around the area ----- like Vicks, tabasco sauce, last week's meat loaf,or limberger cheese.

A

·
0 Posts
When Molly had surgery there was this nasty tasting cream that they gave us to apply to the incision. She licked it only once and then tried forever to get the taste out of her mouth.
It worked great.
Just a thought....

·
Registered
939 Posts
our dogs lick their butts just to get the taste of my wife's cooking out of their mouths!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
The Variton cream does work pretty well, but you have to be vigilant and keep reapplying it. The tube type collar would probably work best, but depending on where the neck incision is you might also be able to put some padding on the cone to keep it from irritating the wound.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice. Does anyone know if keeping his leg bandaged will hinder or slow the healing of his incicion? Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see how a tee-shirt will stop him licking his leg? (And Dean? Come on now... meat loaf or Limberger cheese? That might make him actually devour himself! ;) ) Soundtrack, is Variton cream what Jennifer T may be talking about? Do you apply it to the wound area or just surrounding it? It sounds like a possible solution... I may ask the vet about it in the morning.

Moe is acting like his normal self and is eating normally again. He pays no attention what-so-ever to the stitches on his back (thank goodness!!!) but licks his leg periodically - he literally attacks it when I change the bandage. Other than that he's doing very well. The incisions are not swollen anymore and show no sign of reddness or irritation. Moe seems to be on the mend but I could have used some sedatives a couple days ago. :roll: Maybe after the weekend is over I could try leaving the bandage off at night when he's more likely to settle down to sleep.

Thanks again.

Terry

·
Registered
58 Posts
You have never tried some of the meatloaf I've encountered.Hope all goes well--keep us posted

Belinda ---- potato salad might work!!!!!!

Billy ---- I wondered where you learned that trick!!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
i ate some of your BBQ at the AHBA Hunt in Lancaster!!!!!!! that's how i learned it!!!!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good news! Two days ago I took Moe's bandage off his leg as he wandered around the yard, with the intention of wrapping it again when he went in the house (he had loosened it and it was half off anyway). He sat down and licked it for a few minutes till something else caught his attention. One thing led to another as he made his rounds around the yard and he forgot about licking his stitches. He has barely paid it any attention since then. :D Everything looks good... it's healing well, no redness, no signs of infection or irritation. I'm amazed and very happy about how well he's doing. :D :D :D Tonight he even stole a roll of paper towels I mistakenly left within his reach as I washed his saliva off the glass doors. He made me chase him around until I gave up the thought of salvaging anything useable from the roll, and then he settled down to happily tear it to bits. That's my boy!!

I hope never to have to go through this with him again. Thanks for your support and amusing comments.

Terry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts