Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are looking to adopt a second basset hound (we adopted Floyd over Memorial Day weekend last year), but I had a couple "logistical" questions.

First, we live in a condo (hope to have a house in a year or two) with no yard so we walk Floyd across the street in a large common area and on a leash at all times... my question is; what's the best way for one person to walk two bassets? One leash in each hand, or some kind of multi-dog leash?

Second, both dogs will be crated during the day. Floyd absolutely hates his going into the crate we think due to separation anxiety (one of the reasons we're looking to adopt again). He'll walk into it to get toys anytime he knows we're home, and once he's inside he's calm and lays down... it's getting him in there when he knows you're leaving that's the problem! Anyway, do you think he'd be better if both crates were right next to each other or should we look into other ideas like blocking off the kitchen and allowing them to stay there?

I'm sure I'll think up more, but for right now we're really excited to get Floyd his new brother or sister! Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
58 Posts
My wife and I are looking to adopt a second basset hound (we adopted Floyd over Memorial Day weekend last year), but I had a couple "logistical" questions.

First, we live in a condo (hope to have a house in a year or two) with no yard so we walk Floyd across the street in a large common area and on a leash at all times... my question is; what's the best way for one person to walk two bassets? One leash in each hand, or some kind of multi-dog leash?

Second, both dogs will be crated during the day. Floyd absolutely hates his going into the crate we think due to separation anxiety (one of the reasons we're looking to adopt again). He'll walk into it to get toys anytime he knows we're home, and once he's inside he's calm and lays down... it's getting him in there when he knows you're leaving that's the problem! Anyway, do you think he'd be better if both crates were right next to each other or should we look into other ideas like blocking off the kitchen and allowing them to stay there?

I'm sure I'll think up more, but for right now we're really excited to get Floyd his new brother or sister! Thanks in advance for any advice![/b]
We have two 10 wk old pups who stay inside for the most part. I was able to find a nice play yard at PetsMart for them to stay in. I have set this up on our wood floor in the kitchen. This has worked well for us. If you do find yourself needing to set up for the same you might check out PetsMart.

I don't have much experience with crates so I can't comment as to which would be best.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have two bassets that are crated in one crate. I figured every time they nap when I'm home they sleep on top of each other, why get two crates? The crate is be enough that they could both sleep and not touch each other, but I'll be darned if when i spy on them they are in there curled up on top of each other.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I highly recommend a second dog if the first experiences separation anxiety. That's how I came to have two, and it was the best decision I ever made. It didn't just help Lightning with his anxiety, it helped me because now I have two adorable dogs instead of one. But I have to say, when I had to walk them on a leash it was difficult, at best. Lightning is a trotter. Stomps likes to sniff every bush and every blade of grass twice. I tended to just stand on the sidewalk, being pulled in two directions. I would definitely recommend two leashes, unless you luck into a second dog that moves at the same pace as your first. There are leashes with an attachment for a second dog, but the attachments weren't long enough to accommodate my dogs. I can't address the crate issue. All I can say is, save your money for a house with a yard, and get dog doors! It will save you the cost of shoulder surgery from years of walking two stubborn dogs.

·
Registered
465 Posts
In answer to your question about one person walking two bassets, I have the answer: Roller Skates! just kidding! If they are well trained, it shouldn't be a problem.

Blocking off the kitchen sounds like the best idea for two bassets, that way they can play together and sleep together, which they love to do. That way, they can stretch their legs and keep themselves amused. We used the crate for awhile, and now that we stopped, they love it. They are so much more well behaved together than just having one.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have two hounds and use seperate 15 ft retractable leashes. 99% of the time they both follow each other, so it's like having a 125 pound dog with 8 legs.

I can't say anything about crating. Mine have a dog door from the kitchen to the backyard. I block off the rest of the house until I'm home.

You have to have at least two bassets. They are pack dogs, so they need to be in a group. My two like to stay close when awake, but they can't stand to sleep near each other.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice! I did have one follow up question... what would be something good to block off the kitchen? It would only have to be about 3 feet wide. I'm hesitant to get something like a baby gate.. at least all the ones I've seen require you to drill them into the wall, and since we want to sell the place soon I didn't want to do that. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice! I did have one follow up question... what would be something good to block off the kitchen? It would only have to be about 3 feet wide. I'm hesitant to get something like a baby gate.. at least all the ones I've seen require you to drill them into the wall, and since we want to sell the place soon I didn't want to do that. Thanks again everyone![/b]
I have baby gates that don't need to be drilled into the wall. I got mine at Wal-Mart, they have a few different kinds, and I recommend investing in the one that's a taller and heavier duty, it's a little more money but well worth it. I have two Bassets and I had been crating them together, they love being together and would go in the crate on their own. Then Sadie, my 14-month-old female started to get snarly with Max, my 8-month-old male when I would have them go into the crate together. Max started to run and hide when it was time to get in the crate. So now I block Max off in the kitchen and Sadie still goes in the crate. I can't put Sadie in the kitchen with Max for several reasons, one being I don't trust Sadie with Max when were not here. Most the time they get along just fine but once in a while Sadie gets a little mean streak and will go after Max for now reason. Also the gates don't stop Sadie, we tried to block her off in the kitchen when we first got her and she would climb over them, now shes too big & heavy to climb over them but she will keep pushing against them with her weight until she breaks them lose. Max is fine with the gates, never attempts to get over them or push them over. You'll have to try a few things and see what works best for your dogs; I know it's been trail & error for us with a lot of things until we find what works best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi,

I have 3 bassetts and I walk them just using regular leashes, they do have couplers for up to 3 dogs, but I found that they are never nosing at the same time and the coupler made it so that one is being pulled by the other. They have all found their own "side" to walk on Lemmy walks on my left, Rosco on my right and Stewie lagging behind a bit on the right. I noticed that my dog walker Ed braids their leashes together instead of using a coupler when he takes them. Rosco and Stewie are crated during the day and Lemmy has free reign of the kitchen and living room. The only reason they are crated is that when I am not around they seem to forget that they are housebroken!

Karen

In regards to the separation anxiety issue, the only theory that I have heard that made COMPLETE sense is by Jan Fennell and she states that they have separation anxiety because they are the pack leader or alpha and you are the follower. Think like the dog is the parent and you are the child and if your child went out into the world without you, you would do anything to get to the child and be EXTREMELY anxious until they returned home. She has written several great books that I have thoroughly enjoyed and I use her technique (only 4 steps) on a daily basis and have had GREAT results in a very short time!!!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I am a firm believer that dogs come best in 2s. I had 2 growing up and now have 2 also. I will say Lily had seperation anxiety and that was the reason for us finally getting Gibbs. I now have 2 dogs with seperation anxiety. They wine, cry, moan, howl, etc when I leave and as soon as they hear me pull up they begin howling. Mine are closed off in the kitchen with a heavy duty plastic baby gate. My fiance says that the tile floor is too cold so we also have a futon matress out in the kitchen floor that only gets put away when company is coming, spoiled dogs. Growing up my dogs were in crates that were situated so that they could see each other and they seemed to be fine. Like someone said above a lot of trial and error will help you figure out what works best for your dogs.

~Heather

1 - 10 of 10 Posts