Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I am new to this forum. I've had my basset hound, Bobbi, since July 2010. She will be one in May. She got out last week on April 1st and I have notice that her teets are looking bigger and a bit swollen. I was told it is too soon to find out if she is pregnant, so I was wondering if this happens to basset hounds as they age, well female ones?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Was she in heat when she got out?

The symptoms of real pregnancy and false pregnancy are the same. You would need to wait until she's far enough along to do the relaxin test.

Or you could just spay and avoid the worry. That would be safer and less costly than having her deliver a litter of unknown parentage, especially at such a young age.

·
Registered
878 Posts
You didn't say.... but was she in season? How long was she missing? I'd be beside myself with worry if either of mine got our as they have zero road sense so we do try and keep an eye on them as I would be distraught to lose them or find them injured on the side of the road! :(

·
Registered
973 Posts
If you're not showing your dog and have no intentions of doing the intense research to be a responsible breeder, it would save a lot of trouble and worry (and not to mention messes) to go ahead and get her spayed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, she was in heat 3weeks ago. She was out for 3 hours, we were able to get her back because of friendly neighbors. It was unfornuate that the garden left the gate cracked and my bully pushed it open. I will be taking her in, I guess I posted in this forum in hope of Bobbi just going through female growth (teet area). Thank again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Kirska, what are you talkign about showing my dog? Is that your polite way of asking for a picture of my basset hound? If so, have patience I am new to this forum. I will admit to not being a irresponsible breeder because this was not intentional. I've call the nearest vet to see what can be done and I will be taking her in in a couple of week. If you'd like to know why in a couple, just ask!...No need to be rude! Geez,

·
Registered
973 Posts
Kirska, what are you talkign about showing my dog? Is that your polite way of asking for a picture of my basset hound? If so, have patience I am new to this forum. I will admit to not being a irresponsible breeder because this was not intentional. I've call the nearest vet to see what can be done and I will be taking her in in a couple of week. If you'd like to know why in a couple, just ask!...No need to be rude! Geez,
I was referring to actual dog shows, like with the AKC. Show dogs can't be fixed or they are disqualified. You would know by now if this were the case as usually if you are going to show a dog you buy the puppy with the specific purpose of doing so.

I apologize if I came across as rude, just trying to be helpful. No reason to leave your dog unspayed otherwise. You can try checking with your local shelters, SPCA, etc. They often have low cost spay and neuter if you want to save a few bucks. If she can get out of the yard, male dogs will be trying to get in when she is in heat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank foryou the help, I did get slightly offended because I know how some people leave their dogs to wonder and bam! a dozen litters. I will be taking her in, in a couple weeks. I am hoping she is not and that it is just her teats swelling due to being in heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts