primary task was for hunting rabbits. However, I am wondering if you
have ever heard of anyone using Basset Hounds for Upland bird hunting
(such as pheasants, grouse, partridge, etc.) or if you would recommend
using the breed for such a task.

Whadda ya think?

·
Registered
654 Posts
My hounds will hunt just about anything given a chance,but growing up with a neibor who had setters and pointers ,he made me realize to leave the birds for birddogs.
I did have a redbone coon hound when I was a child point and hold a bobwhite.

A

·
0 Posts
I have a book Training the Rabbit Hound, A Book on Bassets and Beagles, by Carl E. Smith, copyright 1924, The Hunter-Trader-Trapper Co. Columbus, Ohio. Ch. 12 is titled "Pheasant Hunting with Bassets". If you want me to copy the pages and send them to you I will. E-mail me your snail mail address. Dean hunts his Bassets on rabbit, hare and pheasants. Talk to him. Belinda.

·
Registered
939 Posts
i have been rabbit hunting with bassets for quite some time now.we had a few that would track the game birds in our local.( quail & pheasant ) now here is the problem,bassets do not point,so you have to keep up with the hounds when they are on birds.that means running to keep up with them so you can get your shot.now you have to know how to tell if your dog is tracking rabbit or gamebird.that means putting time in the woods with your dog busting brush with them to see what they are running.but i will not tell you how I know what they are running because YOU HAVE TO LEARN IT for yourself to be a good houndsman/woman. Billy p.s. good luck. just for your info.i also have a brittany that i use JUST for birds.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Just got back from Alaskan trip, but this answers the question

6 hounds -- 2 days -- 3 guns -- 13 pheasant -- we did not run because these dogs work close

·
Registered
939 Posts
hahahahahaha!!!!!! work close!!!!!hahahahahaha!!! you still know how to crack me up Dean!!!!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Don't know about your hounds, but these worked close enough that every bird was in easy range and I don't run ! We had to hussle abit on occasion to get to the corner of a corn field. We had to move fast to get to the birds cause Marty's bassets dont retrieve like Y. Lee, they eat the birds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts