Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Have any one of you read the book: "A Bother Of Bassets: History of the Working Basset" ?

If so, please give me your take on it.

http://www.lvbh.co.uk/Basset.pdf[/b]
I'm curious, too. Those bassets on the front cover are certainly light-boned and long-legged.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I'm curious, too. Those bassets on the front cover are certainly light-boned and long-legged.[/b]

Those may or may not be Basset Hounds. Apparently the book covers all breeds of bassets, so they could be Basset Artesien Normands, or they could be one of the poplular basset crosses (like the so-called English Basset - a Basset/Harrier cross).

The red one looks strikingly like a rescue I once had.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
I'm curious, too. Those bassets on the front cover are certainly light-boned and long-legged.[/b]
Hunting With Basset Hounds
" You will note that I have been rather wary in referring to "Those packs comprising hounds of a "pure bred" appearance" because when we talk about hunting with basset hounds in the UK a complication creeps in, in the form of the English Basset.

Whilst you might find all the other varieties of basset hounds at dog shows, or as family pets, the English Basset is essentially a hunting dog. It generally consists of a cross between a basset hound and some longer legged type of hound, often a harrier or a beagle. This cross may be some way back in the individual's pedigree, and such hounds often breed true to type. In appearance they can vary from pack to pack, but are generally longer in the leg and shorter in the ear than the pure bred hound. Importantly they retain the magnificent voice of the pure bred hound, and of course, the unique basset personality!"

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hunting With Basset Hounds
" You will note that I have been rather wary in referring to "Those packs comprising hounds of a "pure bred" appearance" because when we talk about hunting with basset hounds in the UK a complication creeps in, in the form of the English Basset.

Whilst you might find all the other varieties of basset hounds at dog shows, or as family pets, the English Basset is essentially a hunting dog. It generally consists of a cross between a basset hound and some longer legged type of hound, often a harrier or a beagle. This cross may be some way back in the individual's pedigree, and such hounds often breed true to type. In appearance they can vary from pack to pack, but are generally longer in the leg and shorter in the ear than the pure bred hound. Importantly they retain the magnificent voice of the pure bred hound, and of course, the unique basset personality!"[/b]
I have read that from http://www.hunting-directory.co.uk/basset_hunting.htm when looking for more info on the book already.

Towards the end of the page on the link, the writer list a few books of hunting with bassets with the Bother book listed.

I am just looking for more info on what the book contains........basically a review of the book. Since the book is around $60 USD plus airmail shipping, I would like to know what I am buying as I wouldn't want to shell out for that bookif it's not what I was expecting.

I have an extensive library of hound books going back to the early 1900's that covers a wide range of different hounds.........mostly hounds in the USA -- IE: Coonhounds, Trigg Hounds, and etc.. that give mention to where the original bloodlines orginated and how they become to be today.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
I am just looking for more info on what the book contains........basically a review of the book. Since the book is around $60 USD plus airmail shipping, I would like to know what I am buying as I wouldn't want to shell out for that bookif it's not what I was expecting.[/b]

I could find no info in my search as well, Amazon UK does have a used book for sell for a few pounds less than those selling it new.

Info on current basset packs in england

Basset packs in England & Wales

Albany Pack

Leadon Vale Basset Hounds

The East Lincolnshire Basset Hounds

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could find no info in my search as well, Amazon UK does have a used book for sell for a few pounds less than those selling it new.

Info on current basset packs in england

Basset packs in England & Wales

Albany Pack

Leadon Vale Basset Hounds

The East Lincolnshire Basset Hounds[/b]
Thanks, I'll check those links out.

I been looking at some UK book sites and found one that was pretty well pricesd as well as shipping but havent found any reviews about the book and more info on it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Remember, Buckshot, you need to almost double the price of the British Pound and most credit cards charge a conversion fee. I order a lot of books from Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.fr and and in the last year I've been shocked by the prices! I've had to cut back on my book buying, that's for sure. :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Remember, Buckshot, you need to almost double the price of the British Pound and most credit cards charge a conversion fee. I order a lot of books from Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.fr and and in the last year I've been shocked by the prices! I've had to cut back on my book buying, that's for sure. :([/b]
I am familar with overseas pound prices and airmail.

I found a copy of the book for £20 which is about $42 USD and Airmail of $12.50.

I always have to remember when biddng on EBAY UK to bid in pounds and not USD or I will be doubling my bid from what I really wanting to spend. I caught myself the other day doing that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts