Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Thank for asking. I decided to cancel the surgery, for now at least. The vet's attitude (cut first, ask questions later) really struck me as not in Stomps' best interest. So I'm going to make an appointment at another vet's. In the meantime, I'm keeping a very close eye on the lump. Which brings up a question that has been nagging me: Do skinny dogs get fatty lumps?

Anyway, thanks again and I'll let you all know what the next vet says.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a couple of interesting articles for you to check out. In one article it says it is fairly common for dogs to get fatty cysts, even very young dogs.
Years ago when I had my other basset, he had cysts all over the place and never had a problem with any of them. He was a fairly small one, only weighed about 43 pounds. The vet never suggested taking them off. They just checked them out whenever we came in to make sure they were not growing. I would want a vet to aspirate them before making a decision to take them off, especially in an older dog.

<a href="http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dlumps.html" target="_blank">vetinfo4.dogs.com[/url

vetinfo4dogs.com</a>

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I would want a vet to aspirate them before making a decision to take them off, especially in an older dog.[/b]
Theoritical removal is a more accurate diagnostic tool than needle asperation. It is possible though not likely that the cancer cells just didn't show up on the asperation Also on extremely small leasion an asperation general is not possible. Earlier this year Mariah got a tinly lump centered on the suture line for a grade 2 mast tumor less than six month earlier. Turns out while no cancer cells were found on the asperation there just weren't enough cells to declare it no cancerious so the lump and the enire scar were removed. Turned out to be an ingrown hair but given the location and nature of the lump sometimes removal is the better diagnostic choice. Also if because of location and size removal is necessary anyway it is also the cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Thanks for the articles and the advice. The vet thought they were both lipomas, which are very rarely cancerous, which is why I didn't understand why he thought they needed to come out. The one on his leg would be easy, but the one he felt on Stomps' chest (which frankly I can't feel) would require a huge incision to remove. I just don't want to put him through that unless there was some reason to other than "why not?". Stomps has never felt better, and the lumps don't appear to be growing or affecting him in any way. So I will get a second opinion and go with the consensus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts