Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around for wireless fences and have realized there is a vast difference in prices. The two I'm looking at are at Home Depot. One is over $200 and one is $56. Both allow plenty of space for excericise and in reading the descriptions, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference.
Does anyone have any experience with wireless fences and if so what are your experiences/advice/recommendations? Any input would be helpful.

Thank you,
LeeAnn

·
Registered
289 Posts
Nope, all I can add is I've learned you get what you pay for and bassets need a lot of voltage; God bless 'em.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
My first choice would of course be a visible fence. But realizing some places don't allow fences I would get one from Invisible Fence. Not only are you buying the product but you are also getting qualified training for your dog. People I know who have done the do it your self install and train method have ended up with their dog eventually on a tie out or in a fenced in area.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I agree with "you get what you pay for", to a point. It IS possible to pay a lot less if you have the time, knowledge, and energy to properly set up the sytem and train your dog yourself. We bought the Petsafe system for our dogs. We paid about $250 for the system and bought extra wire to encompass most of our 1 1/2 acre yard. We ran the wire ourselves and my husband hooked up the transmitter. Being a stay-at-home mom at the time, it fell on me to train Moe and, later on, Tally. We also had to buy another reciever when we got Tally (she and Moe each have been through two recievers). You don't just install the system and turn your dog loose... it takes MONTHS to reliably train a dog to an invisible fence system. If you don't have the time, then it's worthwhile to get the much more expensive "Invisible Fence", which is installed for you and then they train your dog(s). You just pay the bill.

Keep in mind that there are drawbacks. It may keep your dog in but doesn't keep people or animals out. If you live near a busy road it is not worth the risk. Moe has gotten out several times... several times due to weak or dead reciever batteries and once due a wire break (we disconnected the fence till we could find and fix the break). A couple times he got out because whoever was home neglected to put his collar on. It is possible to have breaks in the wire that can be difficult to find (ours has been broken by a backhoe and, on MANY occasions, I broke the wire while digging in my garden (it goes through three of my gardens). It also goes under both driveways... we buried PVC conduit before paving so we could run the wire underneath. Once, the spliced connection corroded when it got exposed to water and we had to redo the conection and replace the little thingy that covers it. We buried our wire where it ran over grassy areas using an edger but in the woods the wire is above ground but covered with leaves. Over the years plant matter has built up so that the wire is hard to find. If you get invisible fence invest in a wire-break detection thingy-ma-whatzis (it's my husband's job to find and repair breaks B) ). Also, close lightning strikes can affect the fence. It fried our transmitter once, causing us to replace it. And put it out of commision temporarily a few days ago. Fortunately, with a little fiddling we got it working again.

Continue to look into it and see if it will work for you and your dog before making the investment. I'd stay away from anything that costs $56... either it is junk or it is not what you think it is.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have Invisible Fence, and one of the big plusses for me is the lifetime warranty on everything. I've had them out to check the system, I've had to get new collars, and it's always free. The batteries are not free, but you can get on a payment plan where they send you the batteries every few months. That's a great reminder to change the batteries. Plus, I had a very large area to fence in, so I don't know if the store-bought versions would have worked for my place. And I second Vision's statement about the additional voltage. Sad but true. It's been a godsend to me.

·
Registered
773 Posts
As Barb said, a physical fence is a better way to go -- it keeps critters out as well as keeping the dogs in. However, our house is situated in such a way that we had to install something that wouldn't block the shared drive.

We went with Invisible Fence, which we installed ourselves. I also trained our first dog to it myself, back in the days when I was a SAHM. Charlie is now trained to our IF, and while there are those who warned IF wouldn't work on a basset, we've never had a problem keeping him at home where he belongs.

IF is more expensive than other invisible fencing, but they are also just a phone call away if you have a problem. They've come to our house a few times for various reasons, and I was always glad to have them there. Buying fencing at Home Depot will not get that level of service or guarantee.........

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your responses. They have been helpful.
We live in a rural neighborhood where each house sets on at least 2.5 acres. All the dogs up here run loose, but pretty much stay in their own yards, unless all the kids get together, then all the dogs are where all the kids are. lol It's not a high traffic area and the people who live up here know to look out for dogs. We currently keep Dixie on a 30ft lead while we are gone. She gets plenty of excerise...especially when the neighbor dogs come over to hang out, but I know she would really enjoy a bigger yard to mosey around in. If we put up a chain link fence, it would be in the back yard which butts up against the woods and wouldn't give her much yard to excercise in like in the front.

I don't know. I'm just tossing around a few ideas. Maybe I should leave well enough alone, since she seems content with the way things are, but if we end up getting another Basset, we will definatly need to do something. Trick is....sweet talking hubby into getting another.

·
Registered
773 Posts
So Dixie is outside alone on a 30 ft. lead? That could be very dangerous.......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Dixie is outside alone on a 30 ft. lead? That could be very dangerous.......[/b]

She does just fine. Doesn't get tangled or anything. Rarely if ever is there ever a stray dog that comes around. Thank you for your concern though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts