Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I no if I am feeding sammie enough food, latley she has been acting like she is always hungry. I am not sure if I should increase her food I am feeding her along the guide line for the bag for her weight but should I increase because she seems hungry?

How do u tell by looking at basset hounds if there over weight?:confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Methinks Mikey T. is on vacation or something...

bassets are ALWAYS hungry, so can't go by hunger to determine how much to feed. I wasn't quite sure either, but now we have a good routine. I used to eat 3 meals/day when i was younger, now only 2 meals/day. i didn't have to eat as much (proportionally) after getting neutered.

it's hard to say exactly how much because bassets differ re: activity level, weight, etc.

prob want to err on side of underfeeding than overfeeding... best to maintain a healthy weight.
--Worm

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
IMO, I think a lot of it has to do with their activity level. And yes, it seems they are always hungry. "Hey, mom has something to eat. Hmmm, I think I'm hungry even though I just had my breakfast!"

With the heat and humidity, Boomer is sleeping more and isn't eating as much. He has his breakfast, then I put his supper out around 5 or 6. Sometimes he eats it, sometimes he doesn't.

Also, you need to keep in mind if she has snacks during the day to cut back a little on the dog food. And make sure she gets regular exercise. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we take her and jay to the river for them to swim in the area with no current, but latley she just seems like she is always looking for food.. so I was wondering if its because of the increased activity.. I feed her now just in the morning and at night.. she was fine before.. Maybe Ill just wait a few weeks and go get her weighed.

thanks for all the replys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts