Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Flash will be a year old 12/8, I think it's about time to switch to 'big boy' food. I tried this earlier in the week, and he experienced vomiting and diarrhea within hours. Remembering what my Dad, a physician and beagle afficianado always did, I didn't panic and poked some Pepto Bismol and Immodium down him, fed him chicken broth for 24 hours and resumed the Puppy Chow. 'Things' returned to normal, and the lil' guy never did act like he felt bad. I tried again Thursday with the same results (and same treatment) and, once again, all returned to normal in short order.

I can't feed him Puppy Chow forever, so what would you say about gradually introducing Dog Chow into his diet while reducing the amount of Puppy Chow he gets? Do bassets have sensitive digestive systems that don't tolerate changes in diet well?

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

:)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I usually work a new dog food into Yogi's food over the course of a week to ten days. I start with either 1/8 or 1/4 cup of the new food and increase that amount everyday or every couple days while at the same time decreasing the amount of the old food. Now, for the shepherd when changing his food I add 1/4 cup per week since he has a nervous tummy. So with him and the amount of food he eats it takes a couple months to get him switched over to a new food.
Love the pictures of the dogs! Adorable!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Your little guy sounds like his tummy is resistant to change. :huh: Go very slowly :huh: switching him, as Yogi's mom said. This should help. Also there could be something in the adult dog food that is causing the problem, and you might have to switch brands until you find one he can tolerate. Check the bag ingredients and see what is different in the puppy and adult food. You may have to go to a brand that has a sensitive tummy type of food.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts